Discussion Board

How to take advantage of Windows Phone 8 multi-core processor?

Windows Phone 8 devices have multi core processors and I want my app to take advantage of this. I have no idea about making apps use muti-core benifits. I want to know what changes I will have to make in my app. I know that it is complicated but I really want to learn about this. Anybody having idea about this please help.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to take advantage of Windows Phone 8 multi-core processor?

Multiple cores can execute multiple threads at the same time, it is that simple in any computing environment. Inside a single application, CPU-intensive tasks can benefit from that, like image/audio/video processing.
    From the API point of view it does not differ from WP7 (Thread, ThreadPool are good readings for low level usage, and perhaps BackgroundWorker for higher level).
    Threading is a tool, not a goal. It can not be used for speeding up everything.

Why can't it improve speed? I thought multi-core carry out parallel processing.

Can you explain about threads? When, where and why to use it in a phone app?

I know about multi-threading but I haven't used it in Phone apps.

Thanks for replying.

For explaining muti-core processor advantages in game/ application development and also using threads for improving performance can Nokia developers please conduct a webinar for it. This will help us in learning to use threads in games as they require good performance. Also, if threads are used any how it can degrade the performance instead of improving. So, I want to learn where it is appropriate to use it and where it should be avoided.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi.
    I don't understand your question.
    You say you know multi-threading, but why the problem should be different with a phone ?

like say wizard_hu_ "Threading is a tool, not a goal. It can not be used for speeding up everything."

You have two principals reason to use multi-threading :
    1- you make a long action (download a file, compute something,...) which freeze your ui.
    2- you want parallelize actions (create thumbnails, compute an algorithm,...).

I meant that I know how to implement threads but don't know where and when it should be done. Also, there are not much guides available when it comes to implementing threads in phone apps.

Is it that even if I don't use threading in my apps it will take advantage of multi-core processor as seen in newer phones?

Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by treseq View Post
    I meant that I know how to implement threads but don't know where and when it should be done. Also, there are not much guides available when it comes to implementing threads in phone apps.
    There is no difference between phones and non-phones from this point of view. Whatever guides, articles you find for general multi-threaded algorithms, game engine designs, are also applicable to phone environments.
    So two tips which work for me:
    - do not include "phone" in the search query, because it is not important
    - do include C#, because otherwise you may get many articles about various C++ libraries (like OpenMP), which indeed are not really useful on WP
    Searching for threading in C# games with Google appears to bring many practical readings for example.
    Is it that even if I don't use threading in my apps it will take advantage of multi-core processor as seen in newer phones?
    No, I do not think so. While the various asynchronous event handlers seem to run independently, to my understanding they are executed in the single UI thread, one by one.

Thanks a lot wizard_hu_. This kind of answers my question.

I would like if Nokia developer adds some examples for multi-threaded apps/ games.

I would like to close this thread now.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    While the various asynchronous event handlers seem to run independently, to my understanding they are executed in the single UI thread, one by one.
    I'm not sure for all async method but for the majority they are executed in an internal thread.
    It's for this reason we must use "Deployment.Current.Dispatcher.BeginInvoke" to report result in UI thread. THis method push an event to UI Thread eventloop.

Quote Originally Posted by yan_ View Post
    I'm not sure for all async method but for the majority they are executed in an internal thread.
    It's for this reason we must use "Deployment.Current.Dispatcher.BeginInvoke" to report result in UI thread. THis method push an event to UI Thread eventloop.
    Yes, I was over-using "asynchronous" here, without thinking about "async". I meant game code with simple event handlers, like draw, update, pointer events. Anything that goes through the dispatcher.
    If you use the async-await constructs, that involves threading.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Yes, I was over-using "asynchronous" here, without thinking about "async". I meant game code with simple event handlers, like draw, update, pointer events. Anything that goes through the dispatcher.
    You can have problem with event too. For example, event of PhotoCamera are called by a diffrerent thread.
    For ecample in this page : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...v=vs.105).aspx you can read
    7. In MainPage.xaml.cs, add the following code to the MainPage class. This code implements the AutoFocusCompleted event handler to write a message to the TextBlock named txtDebug. The BeginInvoke method is required because the UI of the app runs on a different thread.