Discussion Board

Hybrid View

LWUIT, SDK 2.0 Increasing RAM usage every time when selecting button.

Hello,
    I've been making an application with SDK 2.0 and the latest LWUIT. I've made a form and some buttons on it, and I found this strange thing:
    In the emulator the current RAM usage is shown. When a press a button, drag my mouse away, and then release the mouse button, my RAM usage goes up with 1-3 MB. So basically I select a button, but dont press it. If I would do this 100-200 times, I would get an OutOfMemory error probably. Anyone experienced this earlier and found a solution?
    I was not able to test this on a device, just on the emulator, it could be also the fault of the emulator (but i dont think so).
    Thanks for your help,
    zoiddani

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: LWUIT, SDK 2.0 Increasing RAM usage every time when selecting button.

Most probably it is an emulator issue. Anyway, you can track memory details in the device via Runtime. And there is a Remote Device Access service in "Devices" above, you can try your code there even if you do not have a device at hand.

Super Contributor

Hi DanielZolnai! Welcome to Nokia Developer Discussion Boards!!

As you might know, from a Java app you can find the total memory of a device with "Runtime.getRuntime().totalMemory()" and Free memory with "Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory()" - you can use these methods to find out the memory consumption during runtime and print it to the screen, while the app is running in a real device. If you dont have a real device, you can try in RDA also.

If you are new to RDA, please read more details here http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devic...device_access/

Hope this helps ?

Regards
    Gopal
    Twitter : @balagopalks
    Linkedin : @balagopalks

Thanks for your help! As I figured out with my increasing Java knowledge, this type of behavior is normal. The KVM stores the product of the animation of the button in the memory, and thats why it is increasing. If the memory would be full, the KVM would just call the garbage collector, and it would clean up the mess. I've tested this with the System.gc() command, and it works. Thanks for your help!