Discussion Board

SIM contacts read issue (PIM JSR-75)

In my j2me application, some of the Nokia devices (not all) have issue that when I try only to read contacts from SIM card, while there are contacts on it, it still doesn't read them. While most of the Nokia devices do read contacts from SIM without any issue. The devices I have issue so far with are N91, C5-00 and N73. The rest of nokia devices I checked are working fine but I am unable to understand the reason of not reading contacts from SIM while it does read from phone and it's documentation says it has JSR 75 so it should work the way it does over other models. Anyways, I want you people to tell me the reason whats the issue in there. I can provide more detail if you are not getting my problem because I need to resolve them ASAP.

Playing with these old devices I came to know that these devices don't give you much options to play with SIM contacts list e.g. not allowed to be selected as Default memory and not letting you change the look or other options etc. Now the issue that I described above is genuine and I need to solve it somehow, so if someone has any idea or way to do it please help... will be great thing for me..thanks

Super Contributor

Re: SIM contacts read issue (PIM JSR-75)

In this post, hartti says S60 2nd Edition devices don't support access to SIM card contacts (and he usually knows what he's talking about). I'd guess that your S60 3rd Edition devices have the same limitation.

If so, there is no work around. You simply can't access the SIM card contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    In this post, hartti says S60 2nd Edition devices don't support access to SIM card contacts (and he usually knows what he's talking about). I'd guess that your S60 3rd Edition devices have the same limitation.

If so, there is no work around. You simply can't access the SIM card contacts.
    Well, that's a good info just want to clarify things a bit more
    There are different editions of Symbian like Symbian 3rd, 5th editions, and Symbian^1 etc
    First thing, does that mean all Symbian (which I mentioned above) have this limitations of reading SIM contacts via J2me?

and Second S40 has different editions, does all of it's editions provide facility to read from SIM if one of edition does so?
    and finally there are only 2 of the series s40 and s60? right?

Super Contributor

You might not get an answer to this question, as there are so many variants, especially of S60.

Yes. You might find older posts that refer to things like "Series 30" and "Series 80", but everything is now referred to as either 40 or 60. ("30" used to describe small S40 devices, "80" and "90" used to describe large S60 devices).

S40... is pretty consistent, so I would be reasonably confident that they will all behave in line with you experience. But, without having tested them all, I would not bet my life.

S60... has many, many variants, and even two "3rd Edition FP2" devices (for example) could be different ("E" series devices tend to differ slightly from "N" series devices, for example, as the software feature sets are selected by different business units within Nokia, if my understanding is correct). So, I'd make few assumptions here. I can tell you: from reading, it looks like the inability to access SIM contacts in 3rd Edition and previous was a fundamental Symbian limitation, and even native C++ apps cannot access SIM contacts. Don't know if this is still true on 5th and later.

In the world of MIDP development, it's hard to take anything for granted, and there is nothing as good as testing. Make good use of Nokia's Remote Device Access service, which you get for free as a member of the developer forum. In particular, try devices you think will be popular with users, and ones that are representative of each series/edition/feature pack.

Maybe someone else will know a definite answer...

Quote Originally Posted by grahamhughes View Post
    You might not get an answer to this question, as there are so many variants, especially of S60.

Yes. You might find older posts that refer to things like "Series 30" and "Series 80", but everything is now referred to as either 40 or 60. ("30" used to describe small S40 devices, "80" and "90" used to describe large S60 devices).

S40... is pretty consistent, so I would be reasonably confident that they will all behave in line with you experience. But, without having tested them all, I would not bet my life.

S60... has many, many variants, and even two "3rd Edition FP2" devices (for example) could be different ("E" series devices tend to differ slightly from "N" series devices, for example, as the software feature sets are selected by different business units within Nokia, if my understanding is correct). So, I'd make few assumptions here. I can tell you: from reading, it looks like the inability to access SIM contacts in 3rd Edition and previous was a fundamental Symbian limitation, and even native C++ apps cannot access SIM contacts. Don't know if this is still true on 5th and later.

In the world of MIDP development, it's hard to take anything for granted, and there is nothing as good as testing. Make good use of Nokia's Remote Device Access service, which you get for free as a member of the developer forum. In particular, try devices you think will be popular with users, and ones that are representative of each series/edition/feature pack.

Maybe someone else will know a definite answer...
    According to so far testing I came to know that all new devices like s40 are doing good jobs and older devices like s60 (N or E) behave the same way so it's almost sure that older devices won't work the way we want, and finally have to see the workaround or alternate, of course I can not go and hack the phone OS and make it work the way I want. Thanks for your detailed and informative answer