Discussion Board

Unhappy Problem with SocketConnection in J2ME in Emulator of S40

Hello, I have a problem, I still don't know as resolving it. I'm developing an application that it use socket to connect to server. I use the next code

public boolean connect(){
    try{
    socket = (SocketConnection)Connector.open("socket://"+server+":"+port,Connector.READ_WRITE);
    is=socket.openInputStream();
    os=socket.openOutputStream();
    return true;
    }
    catch(IOException e){
    return false;
    }
    }
    The server is local.
    I'm using netbeans 7.1.1 to develop my app. I downloaded nokia sdk 2.0, nokia sdk 1.1 and nokia sdk 1.0, and I have the same problem with the emulators. The error is javax.microedition.io.ConnectionNotFoundException: Bad host name. However with the netbeans emulators don't happens this error. I don't know if I have to set something in the emulator. Or I don't know if the emulator accepts SocketConnection, and perhaps accepts http, I don't know. I hope to find a solution.

thanks

In spanish:

Hola, Tengo un problema, Todavia nose como solucionarlo. Yo estoy desarrollando una aplicación que usa Socket para conectar al Servidor. Yo uso el siguiente codigo

public boolean connect(){
    try{
    socket = (SocketConnection)Connector.open("socket://"+server+":"+port,Connector.READ_WRITE);
    is=socket.openInputStream();
    os=socket.openOutputStream();
    return true;
    }
    catch(IOException e){
    return false;
    }
    }
    El servidor es local.
    Yo estoy usando netbeans 7.1.1 para desarrollar mi aplicación. Descargue nokia sdk 2.0, nokia sdk 1.1 and nokia sdk 1.0 y tengo el mismo problema con los emuladores. El error es javax.microedition.io.ConnectionNotFoundException: Bad host name. Sin embargo con los emuladores de netbeans no pasa este error. Nose si tengo que configurar algo en el emulador. O nose si el emulador acepta SocketConnection y quizas acepta http, nose.. Espero encontrar una solucion

Gracias
    reggards.

Super Contributor

Re: Problem with SocketConnection in J2ME in Emulator of S40

Sockets certainly work on the SDK 2.0 emulator.

"Bad host name" implies a problem with the server name, perhaps it's something not resolvable by the device. Note that when you're running in the emulator, it does not behave as if it's running on the host computer. For example, "127.0.0.1" represents a loopback to the device (emulator), not to the host computer. If you want to connect to a service running on the computer, you need to use its external IP address.

What kind of hostname are you using?

Graham.

Thanks for answering. I'm using the Server Openfire. It server is local. http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/ .And I use the port 5222 and the server name that I put is the computer name. so I have:

socket = (SocketConnection)Connector.open("socket://cyber:5222,Connector.READ_WRITE);

However, If I use this, I can connect with the netbeans emulators but with not nokia emulador. For me, this is strange. I don't know why.

reggards.

Super Contributor

Ah, it's unable to resolve the name "cyber" - it's perhaps Windows name, and the phone would need to be on the Windows network to resolve it. Try using the server's IP address instead.

It's because the Nokia emulator is a "fuller" emulation of a real phone. It's doing it's own domain name lookup, while the Java ME SDK emulator I guess you're using with Netbeans is relying on the host computer to do the lookup for it.

Similarly, you'd probably find that a real phone with wifi on the same network would not be able to resolve that name.

Graham.

Hi, you're right, It's a problem of localhost. I test with remote server and It is working fine. Perhaps in a local server I would have to do a virtual red and to get an ip.

thanks