Discussion Board

location updating problem

i am developing an application in which i need to send the co -ordinate of application to our server, i set the update interval as 60 second, but i am getting the co ordinate at 2 to 5 second sometime twice in 1 second. so help me. my application in j2me

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: location updating problem

please note that we have different sections here for different technologies, thus I moved this query to here from the general feedback section. In future, please follow the categories and subcategories and try posting in most appropriate place for your query.

And then to the question, How exactly are you telling to use the 60 seconds internal ?

sorry sir from next time i will surely do what you said, i m passing 60 as a parameter to Location l = lp.getLocation(60) method

Super Contributor

The parameter to getLocation() is the timeout... it's the longest it will wait before giving you a location, not the shortest.

If you want locations at a specific interval, you might be better to use a LocationListener. See LocationProvider.setLocationListener().

Graham.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Also if the timeout is for sending the data to the server, you would not need to sent the data every time you get the location, instead you could use separate timer for the sending process, and simply use the last gotten location. Of course you might want to also check whether you got new locations during the sending delay.

Super Contributor

simply save the location you receive in locationupdated() into a variable, then have a thread (which is a must anyways whenever you want to do any networking) which picks up this variable (which is updated to the latest known position) and sends its data to the server...
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.