Discussion Board

Exclamation No network on windows phone 8 emulator

Hi All,

I am creating an app making use of Nokia Music Windows phone API's, which definitely requires internet connection. But i am unable to get internet working in my emulator. Trying it for past 3 days i found out
    1. Internet on emulator do not works if you are on a wifi or data card network. You need a wired connection for this. I don't know to what extent its true but its not working for me as i am using data card.
    2. Some says enabling DHCP in router made it work but i do not have a router. source http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...-c07a2265d069/
    3. I tried everything mentioned here none works though.

RAM: 8GB
    Hyper-v installed and enabled

Since i don't have a windows phone device i am completely stuck with it. Please help.

Regards

Regular Contributor

Re: No network on windows phone 8 emulator

Hi,

Yes, I agreed with you.... however it works over WiFi for me. Its not working over the net Data Card.

I have a suggestion here, for the time being you can build your app using Windows Phone 7.x Emulator. In internet is available in WP7.x Emulator. Later on you and port your UI (XAML code) according to Windows Phone 8.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
    Pavan
    Pavan Pareta
    Sr. Software Engineer
    http://windows-mobile-dev.blogspot.com

Hi Pavan,

Thanks for the 7.x emulator suggestion. Seems it is only way around to solve this issue. Still searching for a proper solution. Do let me know if you find something.

Regards

Nokia Developer Moderator

The problem is Hyper-V and Windows Phone Emulator running in it. When you deploy your app to the emulator and the emulator is not yet configured at the Hyper-V console, it will create a new VM with WP8 and will ask you if you want to enable Network on the device. If you say yes it will create a set of virtual devices for each network connection you have on your host machine including a virtual switch. Problem is that for all that to work, you cant have a fixed IP address on the network card you use to access internet. You need to have it using DHCP. The emulator also only works if its able to get a new up address using DHCP. Thats the common issue with not having network access to your phone.

As far as I know there is no silver bullet solutions for this.

Hi João,
    Quote Originally Posted by joaocardoso View Post
    Problem is that for all that to work, you cant have a fixed IP address on the network card you use to access internet. You need to have it using DHCP. The emulator also only works if its able to get a new up address using DHCP.
    I even tried enabling DHCP, it still does not works.

As far as I know there is no silver bullet solutions for this.
    So what am i supposed to do now.? Wont i get internet working on my emulator unless i shift to wired network?

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Kunal Prime View Post
    So what am i supposed to do now.? Wont i get internet working on my emulator unless i shift to wired network?
    I dont think you need a wired network. If you have Wireless what you need is a router that has DHCP capabilities. Then just let the Emulator configure the HYPER-V settings. You cant have a fixed IP address configured on your wireless network connection also.

Can you let us know how do you have your networks connections configured? And also your Hyper-V settings on both the WP8 virtual machine (network cards and configurations) and on the Virtual Switch section on Hyper-V?

Also, have you saw this article? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...vs.105%29.aspx

Hi João,

I dont think you need a wired network. If you have Wireless what you need is a router that has DHCP capabilities. Then just let the Emulator configure the HYPER-V settings. You cant have a fixed IP address configured on your wireless network connection also.
    But getting a wired connection will be cheaper than getting a router i guess.

Can you let us know how do you have your networks connections configured? And also your Hyper-V settings on both the WP8 virtual machine (network cards and configurations) and on the Virtual Switch section on Hyper-V?
    Currently i am using data card, and the maximum i can find in the connection interface is to enable dynamic IP which i did. Currently the network configurations are defaulted (after making lot of tweaks my internet on PC had stopped working so defaulted network setting yesterday)

Yes i have followed this link earlier, nothing worked.

Regards

But getting a wired connection will be cheaper than getting a router i guess.
    I believe what Joao is saying is that having a wired or a wireless connection is irrelevant. The key here is that the emulator needs to be able to request a new address for itself using DHCP - and for that you need a router that that supports DHCP (almost all of them I would think) and is configured to use it (possibly not).

So this is not a question between router or being wired in.

Exacly what Hamish said.

My network configuration is for both Wireless and Wired interfaces (I use a laptop) is dynamic Ip address. I dont have any IP configured not even DNS. Then when I run the emulator on VS2012 I let it configure the network on HYPER-V. If you have problems, try :
    - delete all Windows Phone 8 VM on HYPER-V
    - delete all virtual network cards on Virtual Switch Manager.
    - Launch VS2012 again, and run an app on emulator.
    - VS2012 will ask you if you want the Emulator to have access to the internet. You say yes, and it will re-configure HYPER-V for it.

Disclaimer: Since I got the Lumia 920 I uso 90% of the time the phone to deploy apps and test, This is mainly because I'm using features on the phone that are not easily reproducible at the emulator, like NFC and camera related programming. But I did tested this scenario multiple times and I just confirmed today that it does work. If it does not work on first try, do it again and see if that helps. If not do a ipconfig / all on your command line and post it here so we can have a look.

Hi Joao and Hamish,

@hamish: Thats what i am unable to do. Dont have any option to enable DHCP on my data card interface. Need to get a router for that.

@Joao: Had tried doing it earlier. I even re installed my Visula Studio. On first launch emulator popped network enabling dialog and i said 'yes' but it didnt worked out. Will give it a try one more time.

Note: Even i got a Lumia 800 today. So i will be able to debug apps on it. But will see if i can resolve this issue while i receive my lumia.

Regards

Note: Even i got a Lumia 800 today. So i will be able to debug apps on it.
    Ehm, those are going to be WP7 apps what you are going to debug on the Lumia 800.

Hi wizard_hu,

Lately i got that too. Requested for a WP8 device instead of lumia 800 but couldn't get one. Seems tough time for developing wp8 apps..

Regards

thanks for information.