Discussion Board

Thread: SMS Tone Help

SMS Tone Help

I would like to develop an application to assign a different sms tone for incoming texts from a specific person just like you can with a ringtone. I think it has something to do with the SMS APIs but I am not sure. I really do not know much about coding for Symbian but I have been reading. ANY help in the right direction will be greatly appreciated!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: SMS Tone Help

Welcome to the Nokia developer discussion board, please note that you should ask questions under the selected technology sections. This time I moved this from general feedback to here, basically the currently only Symbian C++ section.

Anyway, the Ringtone selection with devices, goes in a way that, firstly the Contact specific one is used, and if there is none then the profile specif cone is used. anyway for message ringtones there is no such settings with contacts, so in effect its not doable with normal API programming.

Also if you search earlier trials on this issue, you find it rather hard to implement in all cases.

Thank you for the reply and pointing me in a better direction. I know there have been a few applications made that can do it, but they have not been updated for Belle Refresh or FP2 so that's why I wanted to try and make an updated one.

Nokia Developer Moderator

If they did work on Belle earlier, I would not see the point on why they would not work on newer versions for Belle. Anyway, if they do not work, then the workaround they used, is not working for the platform anymore.. All and all, for possible workarounds, you could search older discussions on the topic.