Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Web browser 7.3.x.xx major bugs

Hello.
    I found these on E52 with the latest firmware v91003 (browser 7.3.1.34).
    1. Web browser closes on several pages. Some examples are:
    www.ipmart-forum.com (after choosing the mobile style), www.clipconverter.cc/mobile and www.myphone.gr.
    Because I'M totally blind I sent first to the one who makes the screen reading program I'M using, thinking that is caused only when running this and he toled me the following:
    "I just had a look at this one on an E52 on Nokia's Remote Device access, and found that this page closes with a KERN-EXEC 3 even without TALKS after loading about 300k of data. On www.ipmart-forum.com I had some problems selecting the mobile style, because the mouse cursor seems to have become invisible with the current Remote Device Access software. With some guessing, I still managed to hit the dialog box, and when switching to mobile style, this page also closes in the same way.

Another observation is that www.clipconverter.cc/mobile loads fine if I turn off ECMA script. This doesn't help much because it disabled both TALKS access and limits the usefulness of most web pages, but at least it points to an issue with the JavaScript interpreter. On the other hand, turning off images doesn't make any difference, so it is probably unrelated to memory usage of large backgrounds or so.

While this doesn't help you much, this probably has to be treated as a device bug that is independent of TALKS, and therefore much more difficult to fix. I am not sure if raising this with Nokia still helps, but in theory this is a bug that falls in their responsibility - I'm not sure yet what can be done about a broken JavaScript engine, unless the error happens to be very basic (and even then debugging it without having a version with the same error in the Windows emulator of Symbian is going to be hard).
    Just as an additional piece of information, this also happens on the C5-00 with firmware 71.005 (which as far as I know is the latest available one at the moment). Anyway, I don't have any idea how to go back to browser 7.2, which doesn't seem to suffer from this problem (tested on the Nokia 5800 with firmware 50.0).
    I am not sure if Nokia is still going to fix issues, but at least it is good that they know about this now. Theoretically, this should be an easy fix for a programmer as this is always reproducible, and only appears in one specific version of the browser."
    Hope these help you...
    2. In some pages i"M getting a "Memory full message". Some examples are www.videotoolbox.com. After registering their and converting a video the result can't be downloaded. www.loquendo.com, www.vodafone.gr after submitting a search and the page with the results opens.
    Please fix these!!!!!!!! If you don't do something about these and more web sites later do the related changes that now cause these bugs, the most web content will be inaccessible with recent devices like E52 and C5 which have a firmware after June 2011. It's something needed for the blind comunity as Symbian is the only official platform which has smartphones with all form facters and the most important, without touch screen.
    Please provide an option such as a final firmware update or a .sis installer file of an older or newer version of the browser or alternatively, please help me to downgrade the firmware to v54.003 where the browser 7.2 exists.I think this isn't a serius reason for buying an older device, as I'M satisfied with the current I have and as I know may lose functionallity as a result.
    Waiting for a responce, thank you.
    Last edited by AgentGolder; 2013-12-18 at 07:59. Reason: Updated information

Re: Web browser 7.3.x.xx mager bugs

Quote Originally Posted by AgentGolder View Post
    Hello.
    1. Web browser closes on several pages. Some examples are:
    www.clipconverter.cc/mobile
    For what it's worth, the problem still persists with the latest available 3rd Edition FP2 browser, which appears to be 7.3.1.35 as found in firmware 101.003 for the Nokia E5-00.

It would be great if this could still be fixed in a (final?) firmware update, to avoid 3rd Edition FP2 users being stranded with a browser that contains regressions compared to what was available in earlier firmware versions.

Nokia Developer Moderator

These are 3-4 years old devices, they unlikely get updates in general.
    There have been 2-3 major platform releases since then, and all of them are designed for touch-based devices, so the most recent browser version would probably face issues with running on S60 3rd FP2.
    In addition, the last Symbian device from Nokia (and probably, ever) was released more than a year ago. People who have been developing the S60/Symbian browser are certainly working on something else for a long time, and/or may not be working for Nokia any more.
    Given the things above it is almost a minor issue that this site (Nokia Developer) is dedicated to support 3rd party software developers, so if you have KERN-EXEC 3 in your code, then you can find help here, but we can not do anything about the browser. Also, this very board is about the Web Runtime, which is not the browser, but a development platform for 3rd parties.
    User/device support (including the Browser) is located on http://www.nokia.com/discussions

Thanks for your reply. Just a minor correction, as this fact is often overlooked next to the publicity that Symbian^3 devices have been getting:

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    These are 3-4 years old devices, they unlikely get updates in general.
    There have been 2-3 major platform releases since then, and all of them are designed for touch-based devices, so the most recent browser version would probably face issues with running on S60 3rd FP2.
    According to https://www.developer.nokia.com/Devi...ons/C5-00_5MP/ the C5-00 5MP was announced in June 2011, so it is less than two years old, and is listed as being in "shipping" status. The C5-00 5MP continues to be on sale in several countries, so by that standard it is still a current device, for which the last firmware update has been published only a few months ago.

I agree that this is a developer-focused site, but as Symbian is the basis for our TALKS accessibility product for the blind, the browser is very much a developer platform, for which we receive bug reports from end users. What is particularly annoying about this type of bug is that it is actually a regression in recent versions of the browser for pages that worked fine in older firmware releases. Finally, it would probably affect developers using the web runtime as well (as this shares the WebKit implementation of the built-in browser as far as I know).

Anyway, probably very little chance that this will still get a fix, looking at replies such as this one: http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Eser...F/td-p/1499204.

Nokia Developer Moderator

I have to admit I was looking up the first devices only (E52 from the original post and E5-00 from yours).
    Downgrading to a firmware with browser version 7.2 would be more viable than expecting a fix in a future update, just downgrading was never supported by Nokia, so yet again there is no official suggestion here (not that any of my suggestions would be official anyway).
    Allaboutsymbian and Symbianfreak are the sites where downgrading ideas might be found.

I found that, sometimes for any reason, when the free RAM falls to 24 MB or less (looking with Smartphoneware Best Taskman) the pages which close the browser load successfully! However after a phone reboot) the bug appears again!
    I didn't expect that, how is it explaned?
    Please do something as well as bringing back the correct video quality in youtube.com for the S60 V3 FP2 devices which have a firmware after June 2011 before the ending of support for Symbian! It's very usefull and needed!
    Last edited by AgentGolder; 2013-12-17 at 20:40.