Discussion Board

Thread: taxeeta app

Hybrid View

taxeeta app

I am a seasoned Android and Core Java developer, and new to Nokia app development. I need to develop a app with the following features. I need to know if Series 40 SDK is appropriate for this kinda app.

1) Make a JSON request and send registration details of the user
    2) Get Current location's GPS
    3) Make a JSON and communicate current location
    4) Make a JSON request to send "I am Available", "I am Busy" status
    5) Poll every 10 mins, and send a JSON request to receive latest messages
    6) Display the messages in a list

I need this application to be running at all times on the phone. Background service.
    Should pop up a notification on the top notification bar (like the battery status), that new messages have arrived
    Should pop up a UI if the user wants to see the new messages.
    I need this application to run on cheap phones.

Thanks in advance
    Siddharth

Regular Contributor

Re: taxeeta app

No background service on Series 40 webapps.

regards
    Karsten Meier

So will http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...e_installation SDK give me access to background service ?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by taxeeta View Post
    So will http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...e_installation SDK give me access to background service ?
    No. Not possible with J2ME, either, on Series 40 (at least not through published/available APIs and without Nokia sigining the MIDlet with Nokia manufacturer certs, which Nokia won't do).

If you need an application architecture where an app must operate also in the background, then you need to target some entirely different platform than Nokia Series 40 based phones.

How about Symbian C++ ? Will this app run on all nokia phones ?

I am very new to Nokia development. But I also I need help to understand how this "can" be accomplished, I request that you help me understand solutions aswell. All I am hearing is what I cannot do. I say this with utmost humility.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by taxeeta View Post
    How about Symbian C++ ? Will this app run on all nokia phones?
    It is possible to do with Symbian C++, there you can have background services, you can even start them automatically when the phone boots. Accessing GPS and data services is not a problem either.
    Such application will work on Symbian devices only, so S60 (the "recent" ones, S60 3rd and S60 5th edition), Symbian^3, Symbian Anna, Nokia Belle. You can search for devices using the various platforms on the specifications page (Devices above, Device specifications).
    The problem is that the Nokia 808 Pureview is probably the last Symbian device ever. When you open the specifications page, you will see that there are no Symbian devices on the first page. The 808 appears on the second page, and it was announced 13 months (minus 1 day) ago.