Discussion Board

Bluetooth Pairing of Nokia Lumia 820 (WP8) with Microchip RN-42 fails

Hello,

we are working at a Bluetooth project, which shall be developed on base of RN-42 modules.

Unfortunately the pairing fails, that means the Lumia 820 display changes to "connected" and then back to "Not connected".

The RN-42 modul signals "not connected".

With an iPhone 4S and a Samsung S3 the pairing works fine.

Regards

Axel

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Bluetooth Pairing of Nokia Lumia 820 (WP8) with Microchip RN-42 fails

Quote Originally Posted by AxelF View Post
    Hello,

we are working at a Bluetooth project, which shall be developed on base of RN-42 modules.

Unfortunately the pairing fails, that means the Lumia 820 display changes to "connected" and then back to "Not connected".

The RN-42 modul signals "not connected".

With an iPhone 4S and a Samsung S3 the pairing works fine.

Regards

Axel
    What bluetooth profile is required?

The RN-42 is set to SPP profile. I know that this is not supported by the WP8, but there are other examples in the web which show, that it should not be a problem.

Of course I don't have direct support by the operating system and I must write my own app, but the pairing should work anyway.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by AxelF View Post
    The RN-42 is set to SPP profile. I know that this is not supported by the WP8, but there are other examples in the web which show, that it should not be a problem.

Of course I don't have direct support by the operating system and I must write my own app, but the pairing should work anyway.
    A tiny bit of this tutorial deals with SPP via RFCOMM... http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...indows_Phone_8

In regards to the connection issue, does the RN-42 modul ever give the status of 'connecting' or 'connected'? either way, I'd try writing a piece of code to emulate SPP behaviour, then try and connect and see what happens.

...I'd guess most people are waiting for official SPP support versus trying to write it themselves.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi!

Peter Foot, Windows Phone MVP, has a library called 32feet that use SPP to Connect to barcode scanners from Windows Phone: http://peterfoot.net/32feetNETForWindowsPhone.aspx

Maybe it can be of help!

Hi,

thanks for your help. I have already read that I can connect with a service name "1" - if the module is paired. But this is why I have created this thead: I cannot pair it.

Unfortunately there is no error message or log where I can find out the reason. So my questions was, if anybody has paired a RN-41/42 with a Lumia820 successfully. As this module seems to be industie standard and is used for example in the Arduino project I cannot be allowne on this planet.

Nokia Developer Champion

I just remembered a thread I read on XDAs concerning WP8-Bluetooth-Connectivity with Arduino boards. Perhaps you can get into contact with that guy and share your findings with each other: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2156466

hope it helps

..., Earth, Brazil, Paraiba, Campina Grande

Hi AxelF,

I've written this article (http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...sing_Bluetooth) and it's been tested exactly with the Lumia 820. I also had to pair before to run the application, as you can see in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=1vB1ZgU2DUs.

In fact, during the pairing procedure, It looks like the Bluetooth module is not working (It doesn't stop blinking). But after that, i'm able to call "ConnectAsync" from my application and it worked (It stopped blinking).

Br,

Hello,

now I have found the problem:

The Windows Phone 8 displays a successful pairing with supported profile as "Connected", but without profile as "Not connected".

In the case of not successfull pairing "Connection failed" is displayed.

So I can go on with my app, because an app can connect even if the SPP is not supported by WP8. In that case the RN-42 changes from blink to continous light when the app connects to it.

Regards
    Axel