Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

SQL like data storage

Hi,

I need to read/write/update data which can be best stored in a SQL database. Is there some library, or even built-in functionality, for a database engine in JaveME for S40?
    In detail, I need this functionality:
    - SELECT something FROM sometable
    - UPDATE
    - INSERT

Regards,

Super Contributor

Re: SQL like data storage

Your principle mechanism is RMS, see the Java docs for the package javax.microedition.rms.

It is not exactly "sql-like"! It's very primitive. You will probably want to build a layer on top of it, managing your data with objects, and using RMS to persist the objects.

How much data do you want to store? I'm thinking in terms of number of objects, size of object (bytes), ...?

Graham.

Regular Contributor

The upper limit is about 5000 rows. Entries contain (short) strings, some integers and floats. The size of all data is not more than 10MB. As said, these are maximums. The average number of rows will probably be 1000.

Super Contributor

OK... some bad news... RMS is limited in size, and on Series 40 devices is nowhere near 10Mb. I think the newest S40s provide about 500k.

You have two options for storage. RMS or FileConnection. Take a look at Persistent Data In Java ME in the wiki for a comparison.

The FileConnection API comes with security restrictions, and your app will display a variety of prompts to the user asking for their permission. RMS doesn't have these security prompts, but comes with different issues...

Graham.

Regular Contributor

Thanks. I was hoping that there is some kind of database engine (library) which can handle simple queries but it seems that I have to implement this by myself.

Super Contributor

There are libraries of various sources and licenses, which sit on top of RMS. Here is a list - I think there's a list/comparison of them in the wiki, but I can't find it. Bare in mind that these don't work by magic - they have to sit on top of some persistence API that already exists, so are subject to the same limitations. There is a risk that you might end up with something fatter than you need, and a big wedge of application bloat.