Discussion Board

How to upload S40 apps into Asha Phone using Nokia Web Tool?

Hello,
    I have been following the Starter Guide to create simple News Feed applications for S40 Asha Phones. However, I am stuck in uploading the app. onto phone via USB. The USB connection is configured in the Deployment Settings. Here are the steps I used as per Guide.

1) Create App. and simulate via local browser

2) Package the app. which was done successfully.

3) Prepare to deploy the application firstly by connecting the phone via USB and selecting Ovi Suite USB Connection in Phone Setting. Once the PC recognises the phone, I then selected Deploy App in Nokia Web Tools. A message then appear stating Network connection not successful. As a result, USB Launcher did not installed.

Could you please assist me?

How would I do deploy the app. via Bluetooth? Where can I find the Bluetooth Launcher app. for the S40 phone? Thank you.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to upload S40 apps into Asha Phone using Nokia Web Tool?

Hi,

There are some problems at the moment with development servers. That might explain why deployment fails.

You can install Bluetooth launcher by navigating to:
    http://nokia.ly/btlauncher

Br,
    Ilkka

Hello Ilkka,

Many thanks for the assistance. I have deployed the BBC RSS Feed app via BT and as a result it is woking on Asha 303. Suffice to say, the BT launcher app. in the link provided did not installed successfully and instead the BT launcher in Web tools was installed. The file size were different 4k versus 27k (BT app in Web Tools). Having said that I saw an error message that BT is not enabled whilst deploying the application. However, it appears that the app. have actually been installed in the phone!

Some questions regarding BCC News RSS feed. I noticed that I need to click on the short URL in the phone to run the appliction. Is the app running from the Nokia Remote Server just to see the BBC News Feed?

I cannot see the icon in the Apps and Games folder regarding the News Feed Application. Is there supposed to be an icon being created in the folder for the end user?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hi,

Strange, it has been working for me, but I haven't been using 303. Have to check with that device.

You shouldn't need to click any addresses, if deployment is done via BT launcher. It should automatically launch the web app. In the development phase, no icon created to application grid, but you can find your web app from
    browsers "Apps" listing (second last menu option in bottom bar).

Once web app is published to store, it makes JAD/JAR files that are installed to end user's device. Then you can see the app in appgrid.
    In web apps, all JavaScript processing happens in proxy back-end side. In case of news feeds, RSS feed is fetched and parsed in proxy side.

-Ilkka