Discussion Board

Finding memories solutions for playing audio online

Hi,
    I'm a new programmer working on j2me apps, I'm trying to create app to play music online, connect to server is and streaming is Ok. However, I got a problem about manage the memory. The memories in feature phone is quite small, so after stream it is able to read about 1M at one time, but audio file that I expect is about 30MB. So what is the solution for this issue.
    ps// I tried to using thread but that is quite bad because interruption between change the threads.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Finding memories solutions for playing audio online

That is normal. If you check device specifications (part of Devices above), you can find "Maximum Heap Size" listed under "Memory Functions". In case of Series 40 devices it varies between 1-4 megabytes.
    You may want to check the FileConnection API, a starting point could be http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...n_API_(JSR_75)

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by nokia1202 View Post
    after stream it is able to read about 1M at one time, but audio file that I expect is about 30MB. So what is the solution for this issue.
    That's, kind of, the point of streaming audio (or video); you do not need to download the whole thing to start playing it. So, the solution is to buffer enough to start playing (and handle the buffering delays) and download more as you play, then discard what you have already played, and play the new bits, etc.

And with J2ME, to do multiple things "simultaneously", you do need to use threads (which won't really run simultaneously, at least not on a single-core processor, but will appear to do so).

With other environments (e.g., on Symbian/S60) you could have separated the background loading to a separate service process and the front-end/UI into another (there you wouldn't have had similar memory issues, either).

With the J2ME limitations in general, I'm not sure if it makes much sense to write any kind of streaming app (due to the memory and performance reasons) that has to both get, store and decode an audio or video stream. If you can hand over the control to an existing, native player from your J2ME app, that'd help, and might work, too (if the native player supports the encoding and streaming protocol), but the user experience with your app would be less than stellar.

In other words, it might be very hard to get things working well for an audio streaming app using J2ME (and on phones with limited memory and processing power, and limited access to, e.g., hardware based codecs from J2ME).

Nokia Developer Champion

I have got this kind of problem before.
    I created a Java ME application which needs to play MP3 file which size is around 4-8 MB from HTTP Server.
    The easiest way to solve it is open the MP3 file in the native player.
    So you just need to open the file url in the MIDlet class like this: platformRequest ("http://localhost/test.mp3");

It will be automatically downloaded and ran in the native player.

Hope it helps.
    Jeffrey Hermanto Halimsetiawan
    Game Developer | Mobile Apps Developer
    LinkedIn

Hi jeffrey.halimsetiawan,
    The problem is that I don't want to download the MP3 file . Just play it.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    That's, kind of, the point of streaming audio (or video); you do not need to download the whole thing to start playing it. So, the solution is to buffer enough to start playing (and handle the buffering delays) and download more as you play, then discard what you have already played, and play the new bits, etc.
    Thank you, petrib. I am on that way, but It's quite hard. I'll try my best.