Discussion Board

Assistance on Structure of Symbian S60 5th edition Kernel Data Structures

Hi,

I'm working on S60 5th Edition. My aim is to recover useful information from the RAM memory dump of the phone. I already have the memory dump and I am trying to parse the kernel data structures from the raw hex dump to get list of processes running & memory chunks they were using. I know that kernel data is stored at 0xc8000000-0xc9200000 by looking at Memory Map for the multiple memory model. One avenue I explored is using the stop debug api which provides such symbolic information about processes and memory chunks. Hence, I tried to find out how it generates the information from the contents stored in RAM. However, I was not able to find any such documentation and could only find documentation to build a client which uses the api. Since, I have only the memory dump I cannot use the api directly and am looking for other avenues. Any suggestions in this regard would be helpful.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Assistance on Structure of Symbian S60 5th edition Kernel Data Structures

Remember that this is an official Nokia site, and Nokia actually does not support hacking/cracking its devices themselves, the OS, or any other software running on it.
    So do not expect explicit help, however you may still find useful the Symbian OS Internals book in the Wiki: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...n_OS_Internals, the site mirroring some Symbian resources: http://www.symlab.org/, and the snapshot of the last open source Symbian release on SourceForge, project symbiandump.
    Note that all of these are about Symbian^3, but they should be useful to some extent with Symbian^1 too.