Discussion Board

Hybrid View

System.out.println's from the device

How do I see the system.out's I have printed on my test application ? Is there a tool that connects and helps me debug my application ? In android, the debugging tools are linked with eclipse as plugins. Isn't there something like monitor in nokia world ? Please advice.

Re: System.out.println's from the device

I sure hope that nokia has better developer support, since its tools and documentation are truly bad.

Nokia Developer Moderator

You may want to get and try the debugger prior to start ranting. It is listed on the getting started page, https://www.developer.nokia.com/Deve...tting_started/

prior to start ranting
    Mr Wizard_hu, it seems no one on nokia development team has seen the likes of a good development environment. Using a COM port to redirect sysouts is a 15 year old HACK, we used during C programming of embedded hardware. Is that all that nokia sdk is worth, no wonder you dont have any open developers working on this sdk.

At the least I can expect Moderators to be polite and tolerate a bit of rant.

I just can not decode, sorry. You got some ideas both for the old question and for the new one.

It may be worth pointing out that the first 4 messages here (including the quoted one) have been merged from a different, 2+ weeks old discussion, because I found them closely related to the new question (in #5, posted yesterday). Getting annoyed now might appear like if you have not read the answers to your question at all, just posted a new query...

Side note: "moderators" are 3rd-party volunteers, moderating is a hobby for us. Tools and documentation are not created by us.

Nokia Developer Champion

Maybe you can use Series 40 On-Device Debugger.
    The article about my experience how to use that in Indonesian language can be seen here: http://nice.or.id/jeffrey/2013/03/01...vice-debugger/

Hope it helps.
    Jeffrey Hermanto Halimsetiawan
    Game Developer | Mobile Apps Developer
    LinkedIn

Beginner question : Console for System.out's

I have just started nokia java me development. I downloaded 2.0 sdk and have written a helloworld to return the current GPS co-ordinates. When I run it on the emulator I am able to get the console messages from my system.out's. But the GPS location points to some place in the middle of the ocean for the emulator. I then tried to run it on a device but I am not able to see those messages on the Console tab of Eclipse.

I am a seasoned Android developer. With Android we have DDMS and logcat for getting debug messages from emulator and device.

How do I get to see the console messages from my phone ?

It is a simple question, please dont give me complicated advice like "LWUIT". I need a way to see the console messages, it is a basic software development requirement from a development IDE/SDK.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Beginner question : Console for System.out's

For the GPS stuff, http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...e-in-build-GPS contains some idea. See #8.
    For the console thing, here is something you can try: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ries-40-phones

I too had this problem and I kind of gave up on using the on-device debugger given the amount of material that you have to read just to set it up (30 pages just to do on device debugging!) and it does not always seem to work reliably. Instead, I use a library called (Tantalum Mobile) which has a logging utility (among many other cool features) that allows developers to redirect logging to COM port. To view the log in real time, I use this terminal emulator - just point it to the COM port where your device is connected and it will show the log for you in real time.