Discussion Board

Question Can I get GeoLocations(Lat\Long) giving Address info as Input

Can I use NOKIA Here API's (REST) for getting GeoLocations(Lat\Long) giving Address Information as Input?
    I am trying to integrate Nokia Here REST Places API with my application. I am not able to find a API by which I can send a search term(String) like "Berlin" and get Latitude and Longitude of Berlin in response.

Bornik

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Can I get GeoLocations(Lat\Long) giving Address info as Input

You would not use Places API for such an purpose, Instead you should use Geo coding services, which indeed are provided by other here APIs. Anyway last time I checked there were no REST API for the purpose, so you would need to use the javascript based APIs instead.

Thanks for quick reply. Can you guide me where can I find documentation for that API. I am unable to find it under developer.here.com/.

Bornik

Nokia Developer Expert

Haven't checked that awhile, and not understanding the point on naming the stuff.
    you can find the api at: https://developer.here.com/maps_js#_...Findex.html%3F

geo&revgeo appear to be implemenbted in the nokia.places.search.manager

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bornik View Post
    Can I use NOKIA Here API's (REST) for getting GeoLocations(Lat\Long) giving Address Information as Input?
    I am trying to integrate Nokia Here REST Places API with my application. I am not able to find a API by which I can send a search term(String) like "Berlin" and get Latitude and Longitude of Berlin in response.
    There appears to be some confusion here as to which service you require.

The use case for the Places service is based around local search - it answers questions such as "Where is there an X around Y?" where X is a free-form text or a specified category, and Y is a focus point for the search - usually the centre of the Map or a GPS location. The response from such a service will indeed also retrieve the lat/long of relevant places found nearby.

Getting a Lat/Long to a text or a address response is known as geocoding and requires the use of a different API - There is already a long thread about this http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...234338-GeoCode

Your options for geocoding are as follows:

• use the JavaScript API as suggested in Jukka's lnk.
    • use one of the geocoding service wrapped in the native APIs such as Java ME or Windows Phone
    • use a RESTful geocoding service

Nokia does not offer a free publicly available RESTful geocoding service. This service is part of the Enterprise offerings - i.e. stuff companies have to pay for. To find out more you about Enterprise APIs should Request a custom package with more features at the bottom of the plans page.