Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

DRM protection for in app purchases on symbian

I have added a file in my app under the resources folder for DRM protection, submitted the app to the store and all is running fine.
    The problem is if I turn my phone off, attach it to the computer and browse to the "private" folder with my app data on it then the drm folder is there and the data is unencrypted.
    I have 2 different IAP apps in the store and it is the same for both of them.

Does anyone else notice this? I'm assuming that this is not normal behavior and that I must have done something wrong somewhere.
    Otherwise if this is normal behavior then thanks for letting me know.

Regular Contributor

Re: DRM protection for in app purchases on symbian

You mean the data in drm folder is suppose to be invisible or the data scrambled?.Did you use drm1.0 or drm2.0.I though drm is used to protect and encrypt the app during sending the app to users and installing the app in device only.After that the drm should not apply anymore.That is what I read from drm2.0 manual.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by babylongreece View Post
    I though drm is used to protect and encrypt the app during sending the app to users and installing the app in device only.After that the drm should not apply anymore.That is what I read from drm2.0 manual.
    Thanks for your help. I was hoping that the data in the DRM folder would be scrambled.
    I'll go back and look at the DRM online docs again. I'm using the DRM with in app purchasing and from memory it's DRM 2.
    I was hoping that it would encrypt the data on the phone so that I could protect my assets and make it harder for others to glean the files in the DRM folder and use it commercially.
    I'll have to re-think how useful DRM is to me because it seems that all you have to do is install the sis file to a phone to unencrypt and access the encrypted data.

Nokia Developer Moderator

I have no experience with IAP, but based on the manual, http://www.developer.nokia.com/Resou...using-drm.html, I expect the same as CLTSchwarz.
    My understanding is that the content should be indeed encrypted, and CAF would decrypt it on the fly.
    Are you following all the magical directory structures and files listed in http://www.developer.nokia.com/Resou...vironment.html ?

Regular Contributor

Maybe,but why is it different from what i read in OMA DRM wiki or DRM is different from OMA DRM

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by babylongreece View Post
    Maybe,but why is it different from what i read in OMA DRM wiki or DRM is different from OMA DRM
    I agree with you that its wording is not that explicit, but this page also speaks about "When a user purchases the rights to a content item, the content and a Rights Object (RO) are delivered to the device. Both files are encrypted, with the RO containing a key that provides access to the content.", so encrypted files. The added thing with IAP is that the encrypted file is (or at least can be) present already, and the RO is downloaded on purchase.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    I have no experience with IAP, but based on the manual, http://www.developer.nokia.com/Resou...using-drm.html, I expect the same as CLTSchwarz.
    My understanding is that the content should be indeed encrypted, and CAF would decrypt it on the fly.
    Are you following all the magical directory structures and files listed in http://www.developer.nokia.com/Resou...vironment.html ?
    Thanks wizard_hu. I'll try and debug this app and see if I can get it working correctly.