Discussion Board

Access call log / call history in Windows Phone

I am developing an app and I need to access call log for some details. Is there any API available to access phone call history / call log? This is really a basic task on any phone. I am surprised to not find any way to access it. Is someone aware about accessing phone log?

Thanks,
    Manoj Attal

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Access call log / call history in Windows Phone

Hello Manoj_a

as stated here http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...story-from-WP7

there is no api actually for doing this, nor for WP8.

Yassine,

There is no such thing in SDK. However, Nokia has Counters application which does something similar i.e. it can access SMS and call logs. Unfortunately, that API is not public and it appears it is OEM specific.

If you do enough reverse engineering, maybe you can access it, but then your application cannot be distributed via Windows Phone Store. You can also add new user voice request and maybe they'll implement it in some future version.

Nokia Developer Moderator

There is in fact a reason for that. Security. I would never allow any app to access any history of my activity on the phone.

I would allow access to at least one app - the one I write for myself.

Security in sandbox is all nice and fine, but we do have permissions for that. Simply warn users and if they shoot themselves in the foot, let them. This lack of API access is really limiting, that is why people prefer Android.

I dont want to start a discussion on platforms but if you use Android (I have a couple of devices that still linger here) you will know the security issues that brings. Including how people made Swipe keyboards keyloggers and such, not to mention the constant reports on the subject. So while I know is annoying to have some limitations for us developers, at the same time its really good for the end user to have such a secure system. And if we look at the mobile ecosystem, windows phone is one of the most secure right now.

On another note, Microsoft has been opening the doors, little by little, on what you can do with the device. So eventually you will be able to do what you are looking for, probably with some restrictions still. Time will tell.

Don't get me wrong, I've never used Android devices, but I do envy them sometimes on their freedom. I am still hard core WP lover and developer. And as a developer, I am saddened to see how many useful things I cannot do.

Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by to_pe View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I've never used Android devices, but I do envy them sometimes on their freedom. I am still hard core WP lover and developer. And as a developer, I am saddened to see how many useful things I cannot do.

Time will tell.
    You can always let them know of what you would like to be improved or vote for existent ideas: http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/fo...re-suggestions

Nokia Developer Champion

The link joacardoso shared is for additional consumer side features. For suggestions concerning the developer platform you should take them here: http://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-dev-platform

Quote Originally Posted by SB Dev View Post
    The link joacardoso shared is for additional consumer side features. For suggestions concerning the developer platform you should take them here: http://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-dev-platform
    Your 100% correct SB Dev. Sorry about that. I have the 2 on my bookmarks and got the first one Thanks!

And as a developer it's sad that Microsoft is building so closed system indeed.
    Security is an excuse to protectionism.
    If I want to use my CRM and phone call log...
    If I wat to make a program to send SMS to caller (It was possible in Meego)
    etc...
    There are plenty of reasons to allow access to developer to call logs etc with co-operation of end user of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Eino Mäkitalo View Post
    And as a developer it's sad that Microsoft is building so closed system indeed.
    Security is an excuse to protectionism.
    If I want to use my CRM and phone call log...
    If I wat to make a program to send SMS to caller (It was possible in Meego)
    etc...
    There are plenty of reasons to allow access to developer to call logs etc with co-operation of end user of course.
    History as shown us that Microsoft has been opening the platform little by little. Usually some of the most requested features are added. So my guess is that its a matter of time. Perhaps you can vote for those on the User Voice website at: http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/fo...re-suggestions

On another note, I much prefer the security on Windows Phone than complete lack of it on Android platform. This last few weeks its been nuts with security flaws. Specially for users that tend to install apps from unofficial markets. You have 2 type of users. Ones that knows about potential security risks and that will take care on what apps they install and what access they grant... and then you have most users that just say OK to any permissions you ask on your apps without a second thought. So while security may some times feel like an excuse and an annoyance... it does matter.

Saying that, I sure would love to have much more control over system functions like SMS, calls, keyboard, status changes, etc. Lets see what WP 8.1 brings.

It's worth noting that WM 6.5 had this ability, no problem:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb416383.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by bc3tech View Post
    It's worth noting that WM 6.5 had this ability, no problem
    Not necessarily.
    - WP7 internally has a lot in common with WM6 (based on Windows CE), but it has been developed in a very different direction, first of all it supports managed code only, so no one can easily invoke OS functions in production code
    - WP8 continues the numbering, however under the hood it is different OS (belongs to the Windows NT family), so it does not matter much what was possible on a different OS, 4-5 years ago
    Technically all mobile OS-s has logs for calls and everything else, the question is whether they are available to 3rd party developers or not. Here they are not.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by bc3tech View Post
    It's worth noting that WM 6.5 had this ability, no problem:
    It's NOT worth noting because it's a dead, irrelevant OS. We live in a world of iOS, Android and Windows Phone. Those are the comparisons.