Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Articles you could help write on the wiki

Nokia Developer has THE community wiki for WP information - check out the great articles in Portal:Windows Phone. Getting started is pretty easy - first search on the wiki and on the Internet to confirm you're not duplicating a topic on the wiki or Dev Center (if you are then you should update the existing topic if at all possible or consider if you can create a better topic that adds value over existing material). The wiki is easy to use, but if you're stuck you can check out our Help and our wiki checklist.

So what to write about? I find that often questions answered on this discussion board are good for standard "How Tos" - like this one: How to detect if an app is running in Kid’s Corner

Other ideas are to update WP7.5 articles to WP8 - THIS LIST shows you some information on that.

Added: Check out articles that need to be updated. The template at the top of the page should state what the problem with the article is.

If you have other ideas, then feel free to add them as a response - a few more from me below:
    * WP8 app compatibility issues (flashlight, FmRadio, etc).
    *Working_with_Windows_Phone_devices_with_256_MB_of_memory could be renamed "Working with lowest memory Windows Phone Devices" and have section on limits of WP8 low memory ... or a new one for WP8 could be written.

If you can help with a suggestion here, thanks (and please let me know which)
    Last edited by hamishwillee; 2013-04-18 at 00:42. Reason: fix typo

Regular Contributor

Re: Articles you could help write on the wiki

Hi Hamish,

Wrote Creating_crash_log_in_Windows_Phone and Creating_a_Timer,_independent_of_System_Time_in_Windows_Phone. Plans of adding few more in coming days.

Regards,
    Vinay

Quote Originally Posted by vinayppatil View Post
    Hi Hamish,

Wrote Creating_crash_log_in_Windows_Phone and Creating_a_Timer,_independent_of_System_Time_in_Windows_Phone. Plans of adding few more in coming days.

Regards,
    Vinay
    Hi Vinay

Sounds great. Remember to search before creating articles in case there are already things covered like this - I don't think so, but you never know. Also make sure not better existing materials on DevCenter - if there is then there might still be value in creating an "overview" doc and example code - like this case http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ows_Phone_apps

Cheerio
    H

Nokia Developer Champion

For how has the Telerik controls, they have the Diagnostic control that is very nice for get errors and the user can sent reporters.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by saramgsilva View Post
    For how has the Telerik controls, they have the Diagnostic control that is very nice for get errors and the user can sent reporters.
    The Telerik controls, although great, are commercial so not everyone has access to them - so, there should always be other options available.

Quote Originally Posted by saramgsilva View Post
    Telerik controls are great, and if there are useful diagnostic tools then these should certainly be documented. Also any other useful controls they have - particularly if we can add value over existing documentation (there is no point in re-inventing the wheel)

Anyone with experience, please volunteer!

Quote Originally Posted by theothernt View Post
    The Telerik controls, although great, are commercial so not everyone has access to them - so, there should always be other options available.
    Yes, it is better to have free solutions documented but this is not always the case, and I wouldn't "not" do the article on a commercial solution to a problem just because a free solution doesn't exist. In this case I would hope that the developer would outline non-commercial alternatives though.

(FYI Sara would agree with you - her last three articles were on "About Dialogs" for Windows Phone and covered the commercial Telerik control as just one option.)

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by hamishwillee View Post
    Yes, it is better to have free solutions documented but this is not always the case, and I wouldn't "not" do the article on a commercial solution to a problem just because a free solution doesn't exist. In this case I would hope that the developer would outline non-commercial alternatives though.

(FYI Sara would agree with you - her last three articles were on "About Dialogs" for Windows Phone and covered the commercial Telerik control as just one option.)
    Ok, sounds good to me. I'm currently use the Telerik controls in my apps where I can so, when I get time, I'll put together an article or two where the official docs seems a bit spare (there can be a lot of assumed knowledge in their docs).

Ok, sounds good to me. I'm currently use the Telerik controls in my apps where I can so, when I get time, I'll put together an article or two where the official docs seems a bit spare (there can be a lot of assumed knowledge in their docs).
    Thank you - that would be excellent. As always, rule is to "value add" over what people have elsewhere since duplication is a bit pointless - what you're suggesting is completely in line with that concept.

FYI, I've created Category:Telerik_RadControls.

Nokia Developer Champion

See the project that i created for the [https://projects.developer.nokia.com...artesianchart] and [https://projects.developer.nokia.com/about_page_sample]

@saramgsilva
    Microsoft MVP - Visual C#
    Nokia Developer Champion

When we started documenting WP on the wiki our remit was unclear so we concentrated on promoting articles for porting from other Nokia platforms - e.g. Porting from Qt.

Our main focus has now moved very far from Symbian/Qt so this information is no longer quite as useful. Over time they will be archived (when Symbian is no longer supported).

Anyway, my thought/question for discussion is whether some of the topics covered might still be useful on the wiki if extended properly. Consider for example Selection_List_for_Qt_and_Windows_Phone. There is no point creating an article just on the WP basic Selection list because this is well documented on DevCenter and elsewhere. However I assume that there are heaps of other things that you can do with selection lists that could be usefully gathered together and shown in full or simply linked to other resources. For example:
    * Customising selection list appearance using "code" and Expression blend - how to and what is possible
    * Selection lists provided by other toolkits - coding4fun, telerik etc. Why use/benefits etc
    * Dynamically adding values from code, websites etc.
    * Patterns from other platforms of selection lists (or other components) that make sense/don't make sense in Windows Phone.

Is this a good idea, bad idea. Are there other interesting articles or topics around selection lists or other components above?

Also useful would be to update articles that have fallen out of date, but which are still useful. For example Dropbox_with_Windows_Phone is an interesting topic which was written for WP7 but no longer works (maybe due to changes in the API) and the author is no longer as active in this community. Would be great for someone to update.

There are other topics of this nature in my sandbox here.

Thanks for keeping this updated, Hamish. I'm currently running against the clock, but will come back in some weeks to see if I can help.
    -CarlosDL

Quote Originally Posted by cadlg View Post
    Thanks for keeping this updated, Hamish. I'm currently running against the clock, but will come back in some weeks to see if I can help.
    That would be great! Appreciate everyone has a real life.

Also there are a bunch of links that MSDN moved - fixing these up would help. Ignore the Arabic title, I've asked the translator if they can copy fixes in from the original topic (Influencer and I fixed this).

Anyone here used Adrotator ?

A wiki article on its usage and some 1st hand experience whether it works as it says would be great!