Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shader that crashes on 620 but doesnt on 920

Hello,

I have a shader that crashes on the 620 but does not crash on the 920. I can not post it to the forum however if i can get in touch with someone from Nokia (and sign a mutual NDA) we would like to report it and see the bug gets fixed.

who exactly can i contact about this? or can someone please contact me?

thank you

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Shader that crashes on 620 but doesnt on 920

Not sure whats going on, but I would advise you to review the memory requirements of the app you are building. Lumia 620 has 1/2 of the memory 920 does so your problem may be related to this. Again, I know its probably a obvious remark, and one that you probably already addressed, but without knowing more, that's the only thing that comes to mind.

Hello,

Yes your remark is very obvious. and something we have already checked, however when the game runs fine when i conditionally compile out this shader. the game also runs fine when i comment out one line of the shader. so to me it seems to me that the issue is more from a bug in your phone then a bug in my code.

I don't post often here, however when i do it is only to report bugs. the biggest one which we reported several months ago hasnt even been fixed yet... And it exists in a MS example project. so it is NOT MY code.

so my question is.. what is going on here? How can we report bugs to you that exists in your products in the correct manor that will get them resolved?

please contact us outside of these forums when Nokia starts caring about their products again....

Quick note: I'm not an employee from Nokia.

Second note: This is probably related with the API. So its really Microsoft domain. If I recall correctly your issue you posted a few months ago was followed by a Microsoft dev on the uservoice website for the samples you mention. Its this one right? http://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/11...iaengine-crash . You should continue to chase the sample issue with them... I think the sample was not prepared for a resume scenario. Am I recalling correctly?

Please keep in mind that Moderators and Nokia Developer Champions may not be Nokia employees

sorry i guess the whole "moderator" tag made me assume you were a nokia employee. Yes that crash is the one i reported several months ago. It seems Microsoft doesn't care about it though as they stopped responding to my thread. i guess i could bump it.
    We are in contact with qualcomm about this shader crash and they have been very helpful. I'd like to get support from nokia on this issue (and the previous if possible) however i think my original request still stands...

can someone tell me how to get in contact with someone (who actually works for nokia) so we can sign a mutual NDA so we can get this resolved? or can someone (who works for Nokia) please contact me outside of the forums so we can sign a mutual NDA so we can get this resolved?

Do you have an Premium Developer Account? As a Premium Developer Account member you have the possibility to open a ticket with Nokia directly. In the meantime If you dont, I've fw your request to see if there is any other means and will get back to you.

i don't think im going to be able to convince my employer to pay nokia to fix their bug. however if there is no cost for a premium developer account then we don't mind having one.

Quote Originally Posted by hdxpete View Post
    i don't think im going to be able to convince my employer to pay nokia to fix their bug. however if there is no cost for a premium developer account then we don't mind having one.
    Well I can't help you with that.

You have at the bottom of this page a link with the text "Contact us". I would start there.

Just a couple of quick notes.
    - I dont think you can blame on a device a shader loading issue. Its probably more of an API issue and that is clearly related with the OS and the platform, not the device. Still I can't assume anything because there is no way to know whats going on as you dont share any code or any indication of what may be. So for now I have to assume that there must be something wrong with your code.
    - This brings me to the second point. The Lumia 620 has much less resources than the Lumia 920. It has less memory, less space on the internal storage, a different screen resolution, a different CPU, etc. So at the end I believe it must be related to this difference. Again, here, I would recommend you to make a simple sample and try to replicate the error. And share that code with us. We have people on thos forum that have many other devices, that can help you test the code and pinpoint the possible problem. We are here to help, and for that we dont need to have access to your project. Just a sample that causes the same issue.
    - That brings me to the last point. I would recommend that you create an example of what you are trying to do, and try to duplicate the problem in a way that you can post the example code where without violating any NDA or confidential information. That way we would be able to help more.

My 2 cents. Does not help much, but I sure would love to understand the problem you are having a bit more.

I don't think i'm blaming the device. However there does seem to be a bug in the software on the 620.
    your points

1. the issue can be replicated using only my shader file and a default MS project. so not my code.
    2. the default project creates no memory. so not a memory issue.
    3. see point 1. a default project has already been made and has been used to replicate the issue.

so the issue lies either in one of the following situations to me
    1. Hardware malfunction. (perhaps i got a device from a bad fab run)
    2. OS level bug. (so i am responsibly trying to report it to the people who work with the OS to report it)
    3. shader compiler bug. (again trying to report it to the party most likely to get it fixed)

more information about the problem? that is why i am here. to find someone who can help so i can give them more information.

Quote Originally Posted by hdxpete View Post
    more information about the problem? that is why i am here. to find someone who can help so i can give them more information.
    Based on your specific case I would say that $99 is a very small investment to get specialized support with Nokia. Just my opinion of course. You can get that here:
    https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/ (create a ticket option after you have an account)

The alternative is to contact Microsoft tech Support:
    https://gettechsupport.microsoft.com/default.aspx

Hope that helps.

As I understand it the process is that all Windows Phone bugs go through Microsoft first and are then triaged into Lumia (or other bugs). We push bug reporting to here https://connect.microsoft.com/Visual...eFeedback.aspx in the "Visual Studio and .NET Framework" area - which seems a bit odd but I haven't been given a better place to post them.

I think João's advice is pretty good.

I still dont think you understand. we are not looking for support. we are looking to report a bug.
    yes i agree $99 is a very small cost for support. however $99 to report a bug is expensive. do we get our $99 back once Nokia sees it is their bug and not a support?

hamishwille,

thank you for confirming. Nokia will not take responsibilty and all report must go through MS. i will follow up with MS then. since they may take responsibilty.

Hi

I completely understand what you want but as far as I know this is not something we do (I am confirming directly with the tech support team). Microsoft is exactly the right place to report bugs. This is not a matter of Nokia taking responsibility, it is that the agreed process is for Microsoft to do the first level triage.

A minor point of clarification is that 99USD is for PDP membership which includes a bunch of benefits including two support tickets. Verifying that it is a defect and a better understanding of the cause would IMO speed up activity and might result in a workaround.

I suggest you check if Microsoft technical support offers some service "if we verify this is a defect you won't have to pay". I don't know.

Regards
    Hamish

I will connect you to the tech support team directly.

My statement that the defect channel is through Microsoft is correct, but this use case is important, so we'll try investigate this and may be able to escalate.

Regards
    Hamish

Quote Originally Posted by hamishwillee View Post
    As I understand it the process is that all Windows Phone bugs go through Microsoft first and are then triaged into Lumia (or other bugs). We push bug reporting to here https://connect.microsoft.com/Visual...eFeedback.aspx in the "Visual Studio and .NET Framework" area - which seems a bit odd but I haven't been given a better place to post them.

I think João's advice is pretty good.
    I must confess that my experience with connect is a mixed bag. Sometimes we get answered really fast sometimes they seem to be there forever. Not only that but they require most of the times a sample project with a fully replicable error, something hdxpete does not seem to be able to share because of the confidentiality required. He would have to send his Shader also. Also the urgency hdxpete its probably not compatible with the possibility to have to wait.

Thanks for your diligence with the tech support team. If you hit a roadblock let me know and I'll try to contact someone from Microsoft. No promises dough.