Discussion Board

Thread: PHONET - ISI

Hybrid View

PHONET - ISI

I am trying to find out more information about Nokia ISI implementation over Nokia Phonet network interface.

Does anybody on the world know this path at place of installed Nokia Qt SDK suite?

/NokiaQtSDK/Maemo/.../sysroots/fremantle-arm-sysroot/usr/include/ISI/icpr82/*.h.

Who knows that or better, knows something more about PHONET, please read next lines:

There are some header files in that directory:

pn_accessory_isi.h
    pn_accessory_shared_isi.h
    pn_apeftd_isi.h
    pn_atk_isi.h
    pn_atk_shared_isi.h
    pn_audio_isi.h
    pn_bearerctrl_isi.h
    pn_call_isi.h
    pn_call_shared_isi.h

each file describes one Nokia phonet resource, these resources are:

PN_ACCESSORY 0x1C
    PN_RES_TYPE_SOS_FIELD_TEST 0x03
    PN_ATK 0x5A
    PN_AUDIO 0x0B
    PN_BEARERCTRL 0x60
    PN_CALL 0x01
    PN_COMMGR 0x10
    PN_ENERGY 0x17
    PN_GPDS 0x31
    PN_GSS 0x32
    PN_KEY 0x0C
    PN_LIGHT 0x3A
    PN_LOCATION 0x54
    PN_MEDIA_CONTROL 0xD7
    PN_MODEM_NETWORK 0xC8
    PN_MON 0x38
    PN_MTC 0x15
    PN_NAMESERVICE 0xDB
    PN_NETWORK 0x0A
    PN_NVD 0x43
    PN_PERMANENT_DATA 0x23
    PN_PHONE_INFO 0x1B
    PN_PIPE 0xD9
    PN_RTP 0x74
    PN_SECURITY 0x08
    PN_SENSOR 0x47
    PN_SIM 0x09
    PN_SIMLOCK 0x53
    PN_SIP 0x73
    PN_SMS 0x02
    PN_SOCKET 0x2B
    PN_SS 0x06
    PN_SELFTEST 0x35
    PN_TIME 0x19
    PN_TOUCHPAD 0x70

All known resources: http://petabeda.webatu.com/imnokia/pn_res.html

-----------
    Now, basic question is:

Is anyone here able to submit or refer information which will lead to rest resource specifications?

Living in hope,

Petr Spilka
    Last edited by petabeda; 2013-04-11 at 15:12. Reason: add link to known phonet resources

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: PHONET - ISI

I'm rather sure the ISI is something that is not available in public SDKs, so I would rather want to know on what kinf of use cases you have in your mind that you would want it to solve ?

I am finishing non-commercial project in Perl + GTK for Nokia phone complex management,

ala Nokia PC Suite + Phoenix Service Suite, but platform independent.

My goal is to achieve maximum great features which Nokia phones supply.

I understand that this is probably trade secret, but why is pn_call_isi.h public and pn_fmradio.h not?

It is the money question, licensing question?

Could you recommend me next step to get that information?

I will be satisfied with negative answer too. All this is just try of my luck.

Thanks.

Petr Spilka

Nokia Developer Expert

I would not know exact answer for the missing pn_fmradio.h question. Anyway, as you should know, there has been differences on Original Symbian radio support when it comes to S60. Basically if you check the old discussions on tuner.lib etc. you could find out that its generally not shipped with S60 devices.

pn_fmradio.h was example from me to point to insufficient information about all this.

Nokia Developer Expert

in general there can be multiple reasons why an API would not be in public SDK, and it would be not really possible to go through them all, one important one is of course that API's shipped with public SDKs have compatibility promise, and APIs which are not 'public' are generally not required to have it so tightly at least.

I started for disassembling binaries for acquiring more info about other pn resources.

So, decompressed (petran) all decompressable files in Z:\sys\bin and grepped them for ST_TAHVOINT_TEST, because
    I have realized, that these strings (ST_SELFTEST_ID) are hardcoded in S60 operation system.

Sent to device:

ST_SELFTEST_NAMES_GET_REQ (0x06)
    ACTION=0
    SUBBLOCKCOUNT=1
    ST_SB_SELFTEST_LIST (0x00)
    ST_SELFTEST_ID=ST_TAHVOINT_TEST (0x58)

Device answer:
    ST_SELFTEST_NAMES_GET_RESP (0x07)
    SUBBLOCKCOUNT=1
    ST_SB_SELFTEST_NAME (0x02)
    ST_SELFTEST_ID=ST_TAHVOINT_TEST (0x58)
    TEXT="ST_TAHVOINT_TEST"

Guess what, no match.

Is it pointing to a matter of fact that Nokia Phonet functionality is implemented elsewhere?
    This fact is indicated also by active Phonet USB interface at device LOCAL or TEST mode.

Is possible to find somebody who knows what to do next? It will be enough to say where to look for.

Petr Spilka

Hello,
    I do not know anything about phonet ISI, i simply put "phonet" into my search engine on top of old symbian sources and found lot of references into
    /incubator/modemadaptation/adaptationlayer/tsy/nokiatsy_dll/inc/
    did you already find this?
    If not, you can obtain it through symbiandump project:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/symb.../files/source/
    look for oss+FCL+sf+incubator+modemadaptation.hg
    (hg is Mercurial file format)

hope it helps somehow
    br
    pg

Thanks for your answer,

yes, I have downloaded Symbian PDK via torrent, but after all hg files decompression, no sign of other phonet resources, just some references to some header files at /fcl-modemadaptation/connectivitylayer/isimessage/symbianisamacroif/include/wgmodem25

Only nokiatsy (doc) and other telephony & AT modem based services (which are using phonet connection layer) are there.

All this indicate one thing -> rest of phonet resources are declared somewhere else, not in app | mw | os.

Current basic question:
    In which part of S60 OS is string "ST_TAHVOINT_TEST" (and rest of them) defined?

Apparently, despite of answered this question right, there are not many chances to find pattern of well-known phonet resource (for example pn_audio) to localize rest secret phonet resources at disassembled code, mission impossible maybe.

Probably there is nobody who knows more, so all what I have to do, is to be satisfied with "not public API (which this things are not API at all in my opinion)" come-off.

Or am I all the time wrong and no more information exist at all?

No matter what, I still believe that Nokia's PhoNet interface is great and has large potential to service all computer<->Nokia phone user tastes, only, it is pity, that there is no public ISI implementation specification, but I understand, there are other fish in the sea.

Petr Spilka

Quote Originally Posted by petabeda View Post

Current basic question:
    In which part of S60 OS is string "ST_TAHVOINT_TEST" (and rest of them) defined?

Petr Spilka
    grokked symbiandump sources, no trace of that string, or previously mentioned headers, so they must be defined elsewhere
    br
    j

Grokked - nice word.

Anyway, I have also grepped all Nokia BB5 firmware files what I have for this string (UNICODE too). No luck.

I am giving up.

Petr Spilka

*** FINALLY - REALLY LAST QUESTION FROM ME ***

I find out high probability of "zlibbed" parts of BB5 core firmware. What do you think?

In case of localizing these parts and decompressing them, how much is possible to find these strings ST_CAMERA_IF_TEST, ST_AMB_LIGHT_SENSOR_TEST, ST_USB_CHARGING_TEST, ST_RADIO_TEST, ST_LCD_TEST, ST_UEM_CBUS_IF_TEST, ST_TAHVOINT_TEST.......

Guessing, I have chosen wrong forum to solve my little problem, so If you have advice for me where to ask for help, please reply.

Nokia Developer Moderator

As it is an official Nokia forum, hacking, reverse engineering Nokia products are not exactly supported here. All About Symbian and Symbian Freak are sites where you may find descriptions of these topics.