Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Symbian Signed required?

It seems that to do advertising in QML or QT with the SWEvent capability that I need to have the application signed at Symbiansigned.com
    In order to do this it also appears that I need to spend $200US on a certificate.
    Is this right? Or can I do advertising without spending $200.

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Symbian Signed required?

I am not aware of any such case which binds you to sign your app through SymbianSigned which requires you to purchase the publisher id (costing $200). If you plan to distribute your app only through OVI store then you can give an unsigned sis file to Nokia store(after changing the UID in the app provided by Nokia store only) & they will sign & publish it for you.

The Nokia store signing includes all the basic capabilities including SwEvent(except those which require cert signed like TCB etc. in which case you surely require to purchase the publisher Id & go for cert signing)

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the quick response. I see here that a certificate is required for the SWEvent capability, but that express signing is required for delivery:
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...Symbian_Signed

This page says that express signing is done by Nokia. http://support.publish.nokia.com/?cat=6&topic=47

Thanks a lot! You've saved me the decision of spending big.

Nokia Developer Champion

A more detailed description of Nokia signing the apps(i.e. how to request UID from nokia, what are various steps of signing etc.) is here : https://www.developer.nokia.com/Dist..._signing.xhtml

It clearly states as what capabilities are allowed & which ones are not.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Basically the app with SWEvent needs to be symbian signed before it can be sent to be installed into a device.

anyway, if you plan using Nokia store solely for the distribution, then you could use the Nokia Store signing for doing the Symbian signing for the app. Thus in that case you would need to check the rules and ways it works, and use the process defined.

and if you want to use any other channel, and the channels are not providing any additional means for doing the Symbian signed for you, and you would then opt for doing the Symbian signing using your own account, then of course you would also be required to have publisher ID, which indeed does cost somewhere around 200 per year.

Regular Contributor

Thanks a lot for your help guys. I'm only using the Nokia Store for distribution and I'm pretty sure that they will sign it for me upon submission, based on those references. In the mean time I'm using symbian signed (free) to install it on my phone.