Discussion Board

Question Disabling showing of access point selection when there is no internet connection?

Hi,

I am developing a connection module that talks to a server via sockets. I intend for this module to behave such that it maintains its connection to the server by sending periodic heartbeats and if it gets disconnected because there is no internet connection, the module would wait for a couple of minutes and then attempt to reconnect again and this would happen continuously until it is connected. Now I want all of this to happen transparently in the background such that if there is no internet connection, it would just keep retrying against all the known access points defined by the user until one of them becomes active, AND without the user having to see any popups like asking the user to select a new access point from the available access points around the area.

The problem is when I invoke Connector.open(..), the access point selection dialog would appear for type/touch and touch devices if there is no internet connection available (e.g. you are away from your known wifi ap's and you have disabled your mobile data). Is there a way for the access point selection dialog to not show up at all?

Sincerely,
    Jim

Re: Disabling showing of access point selection when there is no internet connection?

Just some clarifications: We are not talking about Symbian/S60 but about Series 40 (Asha) devices, do we? Yes, the user is able to set Wi-Fi to automatic: Settings » Connectivity » Net connection = Wi-Fi first. Then, the phones picks GSM/UMTS if Wi-Fi is not available. However, your user has to do that manually on a system basis rather than for each MIDlet. Furthermore, I am not ware of a trick to control that from your MIDlet (as it is system wide).

By the way, this is not the ‘access point’ selection dialogue listing all access points, it is the ‘transport bearer’ dialogue listing Wi-Fi, GSM and in some areas Bluetooth. And in your case, because mobile date is disabled, it is the Wi-Fi selection dialogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbritishix1982 View Post
    you have disabled your mobile data
    That is your problem, actually. Settings » Connectivity » Mobile Data » Mobile Data » off (when roaming)
    This feature is rather new and was introduced in summer of 2012. On older devices, you will not face this issue, if Wi-Fi is set to automatic. For newer devices, I am not sure if it is limited to full-touch models or if it will come to other models, too.

Never tried, but have you checked the System property com.nokia.network.access?

Re: Disabling showing of access point selection when there is no internet connection?

That's right, this is for S40 devices. I did have the settings that you have described but the connection dialog would always appear once the moment you call Connector.connect() without any internet connection. Once you exit the dialog without selecting any access points, it will no longer show up if calling connect() until after the next time when you loose your internet connection again. This does not happen on my C3-00 if I set wi-fi to automatic so as you have mentioned, this probably only happens on selected devices.

I did try com.nokia.network.access but it really does not change to unavailable if you step out of the wifi range that you are currently connected to. Maybe it will at some point but I did not see it happen.

This is a new feature: Settings » Connectivity » Mobile Data » Mobile Data. It affects Nokia 311. It could affect Nokia 306, Nokia 309, and Nokia 310 because they are Full-Touch and offer WLAN as well. A guess, because I do not have them at hand right now. This feature is not present if previous devices.

I would create a technical support case. Perhaps you are lucky and there is a MIDlet property. Perhaps you are even more lucky and this is added to future firmware updates. In any case, if you clarify and explain your use-case, turning this off should make it into future devices.