Discussion Board

Development environment clarification for S40 touch

Hi all,

I've done a couple of apps with Qt C++ for S60 and earned for a new PC with them ( ;-) ) and I'd like to move to S40 due to larger pool of users. There's great support on the Nokia developer site but despite many (too many?) instructions I got lost how to put together a simple app that would do a+b=c for the beginning.

My question is: I use SDK 2.0 and my target phones are S40 touch. What is the structure of files (which files, projects, etc.) that must be put together to make an app? Where (which file) is the code that does the function (e.g. a+b) located? I realize I may sound stupid but I better ask one time than be a fool forever. I don't know Java but I guess I can learn step by step.

Thanks. I am still one of those sticking with Nokia and avoid more fancy (expensive) devices and I'd like to stay here.

Peter

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Development environment clarification for S40 touch

I would suggest that you starte with Nokia IDE: https://www.developer.nokia.com/Deve...ted/Nokia_SDK/ then all you need is one package.

Just follow the steps in that page, and ask again once you find problems..

Thank you for this. In the past I did try this example but the simulator did not show the Hello World message but only the homescreen with icons. I repeated just now and after second try, I got the message!

For the start, I intend to implement a selection list and link its members to some values (e.g. "Apple" ... 1, "Pear" ... 2, etc.) Shall I always use "Java ME MIDlet" or have to use something else?

Where do I define which icon (it will probably be in the .svg) to use? And how do I publish the app into the file so I can test it on my phone?

Thank you.

Basically run the emulator, and once its running, do not shut it down. Basically if the app does not show in the first time, then after you see the menu grid, just click the run button again.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by strelamcqueen View Post
    Where do I define which icon (it will probably be in the .svg) to use? And how do I publish the app into the file so I can test it on my phone?
    If you are using Nokia SDK 2.0 then its quite easy to defile icon for your midlet , just open your Application Descriptor(check your project explorer your will find one), go to the midlet tab from the list of tabs at bottom. choose the midlet and set icon for that.

Now to test on device in the same application descriptor file check for create package and your should get what you want.

Super Contributor

Always "Java ME MIDlet".

If you're using the Eclipse integration, you set the icon for the MIDlet in the Application Descriptor editor. It must be a PNG file.

To package (again, if you're using Eclipse), right-click on the project, "Mobile Tools for Java", "Create Package". Copy the JAR file to the device.

Graham.

Thank you all for advice. Now I have enough material to start. I'll use documentation and if something is not clear, I'll ask here. BTW: I've posted a question in the Qt forum but was no clear answer. Is there a way to enable the LED (camera's) to use the phone as a light? There is API to do it but the flash does not set.

have you checked wiki for symbian articles already, there is at least one for the topic: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu..._using_CCamera