Discussion Board

Paying through Nokia for a service, linked with Mobile Operator

I have an application intended to be published over Nokia Store, when submitted for QA they answered with solution to publish app by adding functionality to charge user for service through Nokia.

Now in detail what my app does is on start it checks whether user is active or not? (currently this application is provided by a service provider in my country) after confirming user is charged via Service Provider, while nokia said "We should develop functionality to charge user via NOKIA" now I don't know how do I implement it? Any help?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Paying through Nokia for a service, linked with Mobile Operator

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Yes I have read and heard about it since long. The logic it makes is clear that how a publisher can provide way to it's users to process buying from Nokia being inside the application.
    Now what might be confusing from my question is that my application doesn't ask to buy anything (from Nokia store) it's supposed to ask user that You do not have service activated (The service that my application provides, and of course it is not free of cost) press Yes to activate? And as user do so He/She is charged from his/her account, no more processing of going to Nokia store, logging into account etc. Now one more thing that may clarify it a bit more is that as I said this application is launched from a Service Provider (Say I am it's developer) now when asked Nokia to publish app to store, they respond with that the process of service activation is currently charged through your own Service Provider somehow, you have to make this process through Nokia. Now if it's more clear then it would be easy for you to answer my question because it's not like in-app purchase rather it's more like in-app charge that we need, and if the process has to be like Ask for activation->Yes->Log into Nokia->And confirmed, it would not be feasible for users. I am waiting for your response, thanks!

Super Contributor

Nokia does not permit applications that do the charging/transactions through someone else (whereby Nokia does not get its share of the transaction).

So, if you have an app that depends on payments, then the app needs to collect the payments through Nokia Store (either by having a paid application, or in-app -purchasing), or handle the transactions entirely outside/independently of the application.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    Nokia does not permit applications that do the charging/transactions through someone else (whereby Nokia does not get its share of the transaction).

So, if you have an app that depends on payments, then the app needs to collect the payments through Nokia Store (either by having a paid application, or in-app -purchasing), or handle the transactions entirely outside/independently of the application.
    Yes that's the reason they asked to process it through them, as I said this application is launched by Mobile Service Provider here and Nokia said they have joined hands with that service provider in my country, so according to their policy Nokia wants the subscription of the App to be done via Nokia (no matter they take their due or not) which is currently been done via Mobile Service Provider.

Secondly app is not a Paid App, it's free from the service provider intended to be put over Nokia store to download for free, just the service that is provided is supposed to be charged (subscription) to customer after their confirmation. And as I already said charging customer by the way Nokia currently provides for in-app purchase is tiresome, so I asked about the way to subscribe through Nokia (which they actually demanded).

And what do you mean by
    handle the transactions entirely outside/independently of the application.
    does that mean what I explained about the current procedure, is the same way you said Outside/Independently of the application???

And one more thing I am eager to know is that supposing everything is done what I asked now when user is agree to subscribe for the service, (as explained) does he/she has to login everytime (have nokia account) before doing any subscription? or it can be skipped somehow? Thanks

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by saqibatiq View Post
    Outside/Independently of the application???
    What I meant is that handle the payments on the website (or by making a contract on paper and mailing the invoive through regular postal services, or whatever that has nothing to do with the app or Nokia), but the client application should not ask for payment, or redirect to the web site for collecting the payment outside Nokia's systems, or have anything to do with the payments at all.

For testing/qualifying the app, provide a ready-made test account that works and does not require payments and which username and password (if that's how you authenticate) you provide to the QA team.

Otherwise, set up an in-app purchase subscription product for the Nokia Store, which the user's can buy, and get access to your service.