Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Media-rich JAR too large?

I am currently developing a Java application that makes use of quite a lot of small graphics and sounds. Unfortunately, because of this, the size of my JAR exceeds the 2MB limit. I have already followed some of the steps to reduce the size of my images with this link. I have also been using the obfuscator, which has helped too. The problem that I have is that the bulk of the JAR is being taken up by my sound files. The sound files themselves are already at the lowest possible settings I can have them at without compromising the quality and I've already tried experimenting between some of the different formats MP3 and WAV with little difference to the JAR size.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to get around this issue?

Super Contributor

Re: Media-rich JAR too large?

Download the "excess" files from the network at run-time and adapt your code to work, if it is not possible for some reason or another.

Super Contributor

How low do you go with MP3s? Playing out of a phone speaker, as little at 9.6kbps might be acceptable.

Do you have lots of small files, or a small number of big files? Small files are expensive, because of the per-file overhead.

If images have a large number of colour shades, reduce the bit-depth of the colour channels - many paint apps have a "posterize" feature for this (GIMP does, for example). I just tested this on a 55k PNG, setting the posterize option in GIMP down from 256 to 128, and re-saved as a 42k PNG, without any obvious difference. See how far you can drop the colour resolution before the difference is intolerable.

Graham.

Super Contributor

Indeed, an texture/atlas map (single file, from which you clip smaller parts for your needs) is more efficient (in terms of memory/storage) than individual/separate bitmaps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texture_atlas

Thanks for the help, never considered lazy loading the sounds when my application started, that would work alright, but would add bit of complexity to my app and require a net connection (not ideal for the app I am making).

I'll have a look at your suggestion about reducing the image sizes, although I am afraid the sound files are already at the lowest bit rate and in single channel mode so no further compression is possible.

Thanks!

Regular Contributor

Then develop the app in the particular platform native format.Java might be cross platform but in term of performance,it is very limited or you can develop in qt/qml that support symbian,blackberry,android(still alpha),ios(still alpha),desktop and harmattan.Qt/qml is more mature in desktop,harmattan and symbian.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by babylongreece View Post
    Then develop the app in the particular platform native format.Java might be cross platform but in term of performance,it is very limited or you can develop in qt/qml that support symbian,blackberry,android(still alpha),ios(still alpha),desktop and harmattan.Qt/qml is more mature in desktop,harmattan and symbian.
    Since Grift mentions the 2 MB size limit, I tend to assume he is actually developing for Series 40 devices. Which native format do you suggest then?

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Since Grift mentions the 2 MB size limit, I tend to assume he is actually developing for Series 40 devices. Which native format do you suggest then?
    My first nokia phone is s40 also but when come to developing,i never even consider s40 platform so maybe someone can tell what is native format for s40.I am noob

"Development Frameworks" is listed as the first item of "General" when you open a device specification from https://www.developer.nokia.com/Devi...pecifications/

For the deferred loading topic: according to the theory you can have 2000 pieces of 512-kilobytes stores (RMS). I get these numbers from #9 and #11 of http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...f-rms-database, I hope they are true.
    The resulting capacity limit is near to a gigabyte.
    Drawbacks I see, without experience:
    - while image/texture data can be stored this way without any problems, there may or may not be a mysterious bug in the loading side, http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...does-not-works reports a problem with LWUIT's createImage from byte array (the problem is not validated though)
    - working with audio data is probably a bit cumbersome, as you have to chunk the data into max. half-megabyte pieces, then you have to find a way to play them back (there is no streaming API as far as I know), and in addition the entire thing will occupy space from your own heap.

Note also that from Nokia Asha software platform, the JAR size limit increases to 5Mb.

Hehe, it (https://www.developer.nokia.com/Devi...ions/Asha_501/) has been edited . I do remember that originally JAR+Heap was 4+4. Now it is 3+5, where 3 is "Recommended" (?).

An update on this folks.

Thanks to the 150% increase in the JAR size limit, in the end, I was actually able to increase the quality of my sound files. Hurrah for Asha OS - it's ridiculous how this has managed to come to my rescue just in time

That didn't solve my issue with older Series 40 devices. However, thanks to some lateral thinking, I have gotten around this issue too. I had actually completely forgotten that J2ME supports the much more lightweight MIDI format. Since the original copies of my audio files were in MIDI format, I just used them.

Nokia Developer Champion

Asha FT App Size exceed 2mb

My app size exceeds 2mb
    Is there any way to publish this Asha FT app on ovi store?
    Shayan Rais (0344-2621149)
    Undergraduate - Computer & Information Systems Engineer (NED University)

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/messdevelopers
    Twitter : https://twitter.com/messdevelopers