Discussion Board

What is the difference between local preview, cloud preview and device deployment?

There is something quite weird, the local preview behaves differently with cloud preview. For example, when I detect the supported features, the cloud preview says audio and video are not supported, but the local preview says they are. I don't have a device now, but I really would like to know before hand what I need to be look out for? And the final question is that when I successfully run on the cloud preview, do I still need to test on actual device?
    Last edited by imgen; 2013-05-01 at 06:37.

Re: What is the difference between local preview, cloud preview and device deployment

Local preview basically means client side execution of your project's Javascript and HTML through an emulator. It is the least accurate representation of how your web app will run because it allows your to use HTML and Javascript that is not currently supported. It's useful if you don't have an internet connection or just want to test something quickly. You really are better off testing everything on the cloud though.

Cloud preview uploads your web app to a server on the cloud where the Javascript and HTML is executed by the Nokia web proxy (just like how a web app is run on a phone). The only problem I have found with the cloud preview is that the UI can be slightly different to what you see on a device. Other than that, it's a pretty accurate representation of how an app will run.

Device deployment - whether you go through RDA or run the app on your own phone, what you see on it is exactly how others will see your app.

Re: What is the difference between local preview, cloud preview and device deployment

Thanks very much for your clarification.

Regular Contributor

Local preview has sometimes another advantage: The proxy server takes all your html and css apart and puts it back together in a different structure. This is harder to debug. In local preview this does not happen. When your error also is visible in local preview, it is easier to find with the inspector/debugger.

Although local preview does have this advantage, but the key problem is that sometimes it has weird issues. At least one since I encountered it. And the issue is not present on cloud preview. But of course local preview is not meant to be accurate or issue free.

Thanks for the question, FYI it won our "Featured Dibo Question Award" this week!

Grift et al, thanks for your answers. I've updated the FAQ a little in line.

Thanks for choosing me, I am deeply honored.

Quote Originally Posted by imgen View Post
    Thanks for choosing me, I am deeply honored.
    Well done, imgen