Discussion Board

jQuery's click event not getting registered

Hi all,

I am trying to generate and load a table dynamically into a container div as follows -

Code:
    	loadTable = function(data){
    		var table_str = '';
    		for(var i=0;i<data.matches.length;i++){
    			table_str += '<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" class="mtch_table" id="abc"><tr><th colspan="2" scope="col"><div class="left_align upcase game-mins"></div></th><th><div class="right_align"><a href="#"></a></div></th></tr><tr><td>'+data.matches[i].awteam.name+'</td><td><div class="right_align"></div></td></tr><tr><td>'+data.matches[i].hmteam.name+'</td><td><div class="right_align"></div></td></tr></table>';
    			table_str += '<hr>';
    		}
    		$('.table_container').html(table_str);
    	};
    	$('.mtch_table').click(function(){
    		console.log($(this));
    	});

and the HTML -
    Code:
    			<div class="table_container">
    				MATCHES
    			</div>
    jQuery's click event is not getting registered on the table mtch_table as shown in the above code. However, it is working fine if I use the enclosing div table_container instead of the table mtch_table...

What could be the reason for this? Is there any way to register click on the table mtch_table?

Thanks,
    Anujit

Regular Contributor

Re: jQuery's click event not getting registered

Only reason I could think of right now is that .mtch_table doesn't exist when you are trying to bind an event listener. So you could double check code execution order or perhaps try to bind events via delegate function. It must be also noted that javascript doesn't always work as expected in S40 web apps.

Regular Contributor

And you should try to not rely on jQuery, since it often behaves unexpected in a Series40 WebApp. Try using directly onclick="...".

Quote Originally Posted by mikkovtr View Post
    Only reason I could think of right now is that .mtch_table doesn't exist when you are trying to bind an event listener. So you could double check code execution order or perhaps try to bind events via delegate function. It must be also noted that javascript doesn't always work as expected in S40 web apps.
    Thanks mikkovtr... Delegate function does the trick! I am using .on() and its running as expected!!

Quote Originally Posted by lorion84 View Post
    And you should try to not rely on jQuery, since it often behaves unexpected in a Series40 WebApp. Try using directly onclick="...".
    thanks lorion84, using onclick='....' inline is working as desired as well..