Discussion Board

Nokia Places API - Incorrect City Name for several addresses

I am using the Nokia Place "Search" API to search for addresses. I realized that the response for some of the address searches does not correctly identify the city name.
    For e.g.

(1). For "1234 Main Street, El Segundo Ca" address search
    Response: address: { street: Main St postalCode: 90245 district: El Segundo city: Los Angeles state: CA stateCode: CA countryCode: USA country: USA text: Main St<br/>Los Angeles, CA 90245<br/>USA }

The city name returned is "Los Angeles" instead of the expected city name "El Segundo".

(2). For "3131 Linden Ave, Long Beach, Ca" address search
    Response: address: { house: 3131 street: Linden Ave postalCode: 90807 district: Poly High city: Los Angeles state: CA stateCode: CA countryCode: USA country: USA text: 3131 Linden Ave<br/>Los Angeles, CA 90807<br/>USA }

The city name returned is "Los Angeles" instead of the expected city name "Long Beach".

It seems sometimes the City Name appears in "District" field and sometimes it is missing from the response all together. Is this a bug? In such cases, what should be used as the city name?

Thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Nokia Places API - Incorrect City Name for several addresses

Quote Originally Posted by abhatia View Post
    I am using the Nokia Place "Search" API to search for addresses.
    The Places is not the correct API to use to search for addresses - please read the following thread for more options. Instead of forcing a local search API to incorrectly try to obtain addresses, you need a geocoding API. From the data you have displayed, it looks like you'll need the RESTful geocoding service, which is part of the Enterprise offerings - i.e. stuff companies have to pay for. To find out more you about Enterprise APIs should Request a custom package with more features at the bottom of the plans page.

I realized that the response for some of the address searches does not correctly identify the city name.

(1). For "1234 Main Street, El Segundo Ca" address search
    ..... The city name returned is "Los Angeles" instead of the expected city name "El Segundo".

(2). For "3131 Linden Ave, Long Beach, Ca" address search
    ....The city name returned is "Los Angeles" instead of the expected city name "Long Beach".
    It could be that some of the city data is incorrect. If you would like to report a change to a country not yet open for editing, please open Map Creator and navigate to the position you would like to add an object or report a change. Then right-click to open the context menu and left-click on "Report map changes". Select the appropriate type of change and provide as much detail as you can. In your case here it would be Address is incorrect

It should be noted that in the first of your two examples, the nearest notable place using the Places API is the Main Street Cafe which does display El Segundo in the address.

It seems sometimes the City Name appears in "District" field and sometimes it is missing from the response all together. Is this a bug? In such cases, what should be used as the city name?
    There are many more options within the Geocoding API to alter the data to your needs , these options are not available within the Places API. You get what you pay for I suppose.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Nokia Places API - Incorrect City Name for several addresses

Hi Abhatia,

Thanks for finding these issues. I reported them internally. Unfortunately we don’t yet have a tool to report incorrect data, but we are working on it. In the mean time, please report those issues here in the forum, we will forward them internally.

I’m not so sure if Geocoder API is what you need. This really depends on your use case which you didn’t write much about. A valid use case for the places API would be to find out what other places are at this address.

Best
    daniel.
    Last edited by danielmoor; 2013-05-06 at 09:34.
    Daniel Moor
    Nokia Places API