Discussion Board

Developing symbian apps using qt

Hi,

I have been a symbian c++ developer throughout my career. I used carbide c++ as IDE and the symbian SDKs for developing apps.

Now I have to work on a symbian project which is developed using qt for symbian.

Wanted to know how easy/hard would it be for me to migrate and grasp things in qt. Could I still use the same old symbian APIs in qt as well?

Can somebody throw some light on this and help me get confidence that its not that odd to migrate to qt?

Raj

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Developing symbian apps using qt

You should first just get the tools and try out simple stuff with Qt, its quite much easier to learn than Symbian C++, also you can mix Symbian C++ into the Qt code.

Anyway, it won't be giving you too much additional benefits if you are simply targeting Symbian devices, so unless you have good requirements for using Qt, I would not go switching the development environment at this stage anymore.

The reason to change the development environment is that I have to work on a project which is already developed in Qt. That is the only thing which is making me switch to Qt. If there is something I could use to port all that qt code to symbian c++, i would certainly not like to switch.

Is that possible? If that is then i do not have to switch to qt.

thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

there is no porting tools, so indeed you would need to re-implement the app with Symbian C++, if you would want to do so. Anyway, as you have a project, just get the tools and see what kind of problems you would be facing, then there would be possibilities on helping you with them.

You Could of course check any getting started material to see how the environment works.