Discussion Board

Lightbulb I need "genuine" guidance to develop my app (Thanks for your time)

Respected everyone out here,

I have an Idea to develop my app. Please read below:
    - On first page, it will ask users to add 1-10 family & friend's mobile number/ email address or both.
    - Then app will ask user to choose notify after xx minute (1-20 minute) to all or few of them. (Notifications will be sent out as either sms and/or email).
    - It will act as best friend in need to girls/ children/ women/ sr. citizens have the option to notify their loved ones that they are xx kms away from their home location at xx UTC.

--- And of course, when this app is installed on any of
    windows phone, it will require password protection to turn phone off/ uninstallation and to insert new
    sim card. And when phone is forcibly turned off or new sim is inserted--- it will notify user that " user
    is at location xx at xx IST when phone was forcibly shut down and battery was pull out or new sim
    has been detected".

How can I get help. I have Visual Studio 2012 installed on my PC and I have subscription to 4 Mbps Internet.

Mohammad Dawood

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: I need "genuine" guidance to develop my app (Thanks for your time)

Hi Mohammad,

First welcome to our community.

If what you are looking for is to start developing to Windows Phone, I would suggest that first you start by doing some test apps, simple stuff, follow some tuturials and perhaps even buy a book to start. Otherwize you will miss a lot of the basics and your experience will not a very nice one to begin with.

So if I may, I would suggest that you browse our Wiki on articles related with Windows Phone:
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...:Windows_Phone

See this series that includes 24 hours of videos on Windows Phone 8 programming:
    http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/Buil...e-8-Jump-Start

Hops this helps get you started. And of course we are here to help if you have more concrete questions.

Thank you very much for your valuable suggestion. I will go through with the contents. Hope to come back soon once finished.

Hi Mohammad

Just one small notice before start your first Windows Phone app. You can't automatically send sms (text) messages using Windows Phone.
    You can use launchers called SMS compose task from your WP app to launch the Messaging application with a new SMS message displayed. Then you need to press Send button to really send text message (more info here).

Best regards

Thank you very much, I got this concept. May I know that, is it the same about emails? I mean the email is not sent until the user presses the send button? Because if it applies to emails too, then I may have to drop my current App's idea and move on to create other.

Well Mohammad, things are not good for you.

Unfortunately, it's the same for email. With email compose task you can run the email application but you need to press the send button.
    You can find more info here.

Best regards
    Spaso Lazarevic

Hello Mohammad,

Unfortunately it is the same for email if you want to send it with the EmailComposeTask, you can specify the recipients, the subject and the message but the user has to press the send button before the email is actually sent.

When you fire the SmsComposeTask or the EmailComposeTask, your app is paused (it goes to the deactivated state) and a special page opens, in the case of the SmsComposeTask it's the exact page as if you wanted to send an sms manually and if it's the EmailComposeTask it's also the exact page as if you wanted to send an email manually (you'll have to select which account you want to send the email from if you have multiple email accounts configured in your phone). From that point, after the user makes an action, the phone goes back to your app.

If you want this process to be automatic, you will have to connect to an smtp server and send the email through code.

You can also send sms through code but you (the developer) will have to pay the sms service provider. Usually you buy packs of 1000 sms at affordable rates.

Good luck with your idea
    Ali Najibi

Hi Mohammad,

One more point to add in discussion, currently it is not possible to detect sim change in WP8 meaning OS will not give event to your application about sim changed, actually WP8 does not provide rich set of apis for accessing sim card for getting msisdn, country code , contacts in sim card etc yet.