Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nokia Developer Champion

Nokia Asha 501

Hey Everyone,

So Nokia just announced the Asha 501 with the redesigned Asha OS, i was wondering what is everyone take on the device, hardware, launch, price etc?

My 2cents is that the device is beautiful and has a great price (even less than the 311 i think), i did thought with all the pre-leaks that it will have a higher screen res (HVGA?) or at least to maintain the current Asha FT screen res (240x400) for maximun compatability.

Nokia Asha 501 - What It Means For Developers?

So we've just got the announcement of the exciting new Asha 501. Thought I would start a thread to discuss what it will mean for us developers.

Firstly, Nokia have given the full device specs at the following location. As a comparison, you can see the spec for the previous generation of Asha devices (in this instance, the 311) at this location.

Initially, it doesn't seem like there is a lot of difference, although from watching some of the video presentations, it looks like there will be any multi-tasking support. Also, from reading other reports, it sounds like existing applications may need some work to be "ported" over to the refreshed OS.

Has anyone spotted anything else interesting?

Re: Nokia Asha 501 - What It Means For Developers?

It looks like the maximum JAR size has been increased from 2MB to 4MB, that's definitely helpful.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Nokia Asha 501

Here is a specs comparison with the 311: https://www.developer.nokia.com/Devi...a_501,Asha_311. According to a quick search, their prices are in the +-8% range compared to each other.
    I am absolutely not the target audience of any Nokia Asha or Series 40 device, but I think one has to really try the Nokia Asha 501 in order to evaluate it. For a developer the reduced screen size is a pain. For the end-user it may result in more fluid user experience, and the increased color-depth probably counts too. BT3 with 'slam' is also something what a developer can easily live without, but as an end-user it can be fun and useful. So this device is probably more about the design / look and feel, not really the specs.

Just noticed the other thread, the two are merged now. In return you got the comparison link for the two devices
    The 4 MB JAR limit is more of a trap unfortunately. Without noticing it I was thinking that if someone develops something for the 501, that will work on the other devices too (part of the screen may end up empty, and the colors are going to be less vivid). Now the chances of incompatibility are elevated a little.

Nokia Developer Champion

Another thing i noticed is that according to the spec the device doesnt list the Nokia InApp purchance api which i thought all new Asha devices should come with it...

Quote Originally Posted by shai.i View Post
    Another thing i noticed is that according to the spec the device doesnt list the Nokia InApp purchance api which i thought all new Asha devices should come with it...
    There's a new In-app API (called Nokia In-app payment) in beta testing, this API will release together with the Asha 501 device in mid of june.

This API will replace the current In-app Purchase API and will be available for others Series 40 devices as from the Series 40 6th edition.

More information can obtained here:https://www.developer.nokia.com/Gene..._payment.xhtml

Quote Originally Posted by shai.i View Post
    Perhaps it became part of the re-branded platform 'Asha' itself. I tend to think of IAP as the only reliable source of income on Java ME (yet again, I do that as an outsider without actual development and monetization experience).

EDIT: I see, the solution is provided already.

Nokia Developer Champion

Before real devices will arrive, I would recommend to download Asha SDK beta and explore all features on emulator. It provides quite complete experience of Asha OS, as well as most features available for 3rd party developers. Make sure to explore extensive documentation supplied with SDK, especially "What's new section" in "Java Developer's Library".

In my opinion, most important feature for 3rd arty developers is real push notification service. Even if your app is not running, you you can get notifications from your service to lock screen or notification area. There is easy to use Nokia test server, where you can experiment with sending notifications. It works with emulator, as well as real device.

Also, if you are using Nokia IDE supplied with SDK, make sure to check new menu "Nokia Hub" with ready to use code samples optimised for new Asha OS. Other examples are also included into help system and available for both NetBeans and Nokia IDE.

Explore SDK, you will find answers for the most of the questions. Also, don't forget, it's Beta at the moment, so there will be changes and improvements in the future.

Best
    Michael

Regular Contributor

There are some things I wish I had five years ago:

File Select API: So if I want the user to select a file like an image, I don't have to write an browser myself. A simple self-written browser has also problems with the rights,
    the user is asked each time for rights when the user switched the folder, which is just not usable.

Phone Setting API: find out if data connection is swichted off

Often asked in this Forum is also the Image Scaling API. Without it using photos from the user is almost impossible.

Problem with all these is that they are not official JSR. On the other side, Oracle/Sun were not able to update JME for touch screen devices.

Regards

Karsten Meier

I just read Asha 501' spec sheet and saw that the MAX Jar Size increased from 4MB to 5MB and a note beside said that Nokia recommended app with 5MB size ... in previous post wizard_hu_ said that 4MB Jar Size is a trap now it's recommend by Nokia ... is this mean that we are allowed to develop app for Asha 501 only ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gjn View Post
    I just read Asha 501' spec sheet and saw that the MAX Jar Size increased from 4MB to 5MB and a note beside said that Nokia recommended app with 5MB size ... in previous post wizard_hu_ said that 4MB Jar Size is a trap now it's recommend by Nokia ... is this mean that we are allowed to develop app for Asha 501 only ?
    No, it simply means if you develop a JAR for the Nokia Asha OS that's over 2MB, then you will need to shrink it from to run on older Series 40 devices.

Oh, and the max size for a JAR under S40 Developer Platform 2.0 is 2MB, not 4MB

i am working on Nokia Education Delivery NED server, i've tested NED client on different cell phones like Nokia Asha 303, 311 and Nokia 500. now i wana test NED client on Nokia asha 501, i am trying to install .jar and .jad files but its giving error and i am unable to install NED client on nokia asha 501.......plz guide me in this regard.....regards: Wasim

i am working on Nokia Education Delivery NED server, i've tested NED client on different cell phones like Nokia Asha 303, 311 and Nokia 500. now i wana test NED client on Nokia asha 501, i am trying to install .jar and .jad files but its giving error and i am unable to install NED client on nokia asha 501.......plz guide me in this regard.....regards: Wasim

Quote Originally Posted by grift View Post
    So we've just got the announcement of the exciting new Asha 501. Thought I would start a thread to discuss what it will mean for us developers.

Firstly, Nokia have given the full device specs at the following location. As a comparison, you can see the spec for the previous generation of Asha devices (in this instance, the 311) at this location.

Initially, it doesn't seem like there is a lot of difference, although from watching some of the video presentations, it looks like there will be any multi-tasking support. Also, from reading other reports, it sounds like existing applications may need some work to be "ported" over to the refreshed OS.

Has anyone spotted anything else interesting?

wkhanb, do these known bugs help: #1229, #1228, #1227?