Discussion Board

XNA discontinued? options?

Hello, im working on two apps, one of them is for shedules and stuff like that and the the other is a Game, i'm using siliverlight and XNA but i have heard that XNA has been discontinued, so What other options are for developing games and animations similar to XNA?

Greetings from Mexico.

Re: XNA discontinued? options?

Hi!
    The other options are
    Free:
    - C++ and DirectX
    - MonoGame (almost 100% mimics XNA, looks the same, feels the same, based on XAML and SharpDX - a managed DirectX wrapper, delivers better peformance than XNA, supports custom shaders, in-app purchases, and pretty much everything WP8 can offer. However not supported on WP7.x)
    Payed:
    - Unity 3D
    - Marmalade
    - other 3rd party engines

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by aaike64 View Post
    Hello, im working on two apps, one of them is for shedules and stuff like that and the the other is a Game, i'm using siliverlight and XNA but i have heard that XNA has been discontinued, so What other options are for developing games and animations similar to XNA?

Greetings from Mexico.
    Plus what the guy with the ridiculous nick said you can always continue to develop using XNA and target Windows Phone 7.x . Windows Phone 8 will run Windows Phone 7 games, with very rare exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by joaocardoso View Post
    Plus what the guy with the ridiculous nick said you can always continue to develop using XNA and target Windows Phone 7.x . Windows Phone 8 will run Windows Phone 7 games, with very rare exceptions.
    That's true. However when you get a taste of "More" you wouldn't wand to come back for "Less". MonoGame is "More" here and the XNA is the "Less". For now I use XNA only for fast prototyping on PC. Almost 100% of our code base has been ported to MonoGame recently. Just search for MonoGame through the Wiki pages here. This will give you enough information to get started.

Wow, i have read a little about it and Mono Game sounds pretty interesting, so I can develop my game and deploy it on windows phone, android and ios?
    if thats true i think i can say good bye to XNA xD

Wow, i have read a little about it and Mono Game sounds pretty interesting, so I can develop my game and deploy it on windows phone, android and ios?
    I'm not sure whats involved on doing a cross-platform game, but I do know that there are sufficient differences between the 3 platforms you named to to the extend that it would be very difficult to build anything that is successful without taking advantage of the native features of the OS. Not only that but also I'm sure you would have to build different apps, sharing a good extent, but not all, of the code.

I'm not sure whats involved on doing a cross-platform game, but I do know that there are sufficient differences between the 3 platforms you named to to the extend that it would be very difficult to build anything that is successful without taking advantage of the native features of the OS. Not only that but also I'm sure you would have to build different apps, sharing a good extent, but not all, of the code.
    The only real difference will be the sound. It took me ONE day to port Undead Carnage: Rredemption to Android including the stuff to deal with different resolutions and less than one day for PS Vita even if the Vita code is far from 100% reuse (PS Mobile branch is still far from complete and stable state). See the actual game here Undead Carnage: Redemption

MonoGame is designed to act exactly the same way on every platform it supports as it would on XBOX or PC.
    Last edited by this_is_ridiculous; 2013-05-14 at 19:18.

For iOS you will need a license for Xamarin Mono Touch (for testing on devices and publishing) and a Mac to build your game.
    For Android you will need a license for Xamarin Mono Droid as well for on-device testing and publishing. However you are good to go with Visual Studio or MonoDevelop

Xamarin Mono license cost $400 for each platfrom

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_ridiculous View Post
    For iOS you will need a license for Xamarin Mono Touch (for testing on devices and publishing) and a Mac to build your game.
    For Android you will need a license for Xamarin Mono Droid as well for on-device testing and publishing. However you are good to go with Visual Studio or MonoDevelop

Xamarin Mono license cost $400 for each platfrom
    So while not cheap it may be worth to commercial games.

if you plan of using MonoGame and Windows Phone, consider contributing to our Wiki on this subject. I'm sure it will be of interest.

So while not cheap it may be worth to commercial games.

if you plan of using MonoGame and Windows Phone, consider contributing to our Wiki on this subject. I'm sure it will be of interest.
    That's what I'm already doing. Check this out:

On Screen Controller
    Building Levels in 3D World Studio for XNA and MonoGame
    2D Deferred Lighting and normal mapping in MonoGame
    Shader based postprocessing in MonoGame

ok, i have to admit that i liked that android and ios stuff, but im focused on windows phone right now, i will finish what i started with XNA, and i will consider to share what i learn, i have been thinking on making a Blog on spanish, there is not much information on my original language jaja

ok, i have to admit that i liked that android and ios stuff, but im focused on windows phone right now, i will finish what i started with XNA, and i will consider to share what i learn, i have been thinking on making a Blog on spanish, there is not much information on my original language jaja
    Look. MonoGame supports Windows Phone 8. It supports 2D and 3D drawing, it supports custom HLSL shaders, it supports everything WP8 can offer. You can use your assets from XNA game (the *.xnb files). Also MonoGame on WP8 gives more performance than XNA. Games using it instead of XNA can consume up to 380 Mb of ram on Hi-Def devices instead of just 150 Mb.

A few more wiki resources:
    Category:XNA
    Category:MonoGame (populated a lot by "this_is_ridiculous")
    Category:DirectX
    Portal:Windows_Phone_Porting

From what I've seen of the examples on this wiki if you want to stick with an XNA style framework then Monogame is a great option. Otherwise you're going to have to move to using C++
    Last edited by wizard_hu_; 2013-06-03 at 17:40. Reason: DirectX was smiling widely