Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which database should be used for storing large number of records in Symbian java ?

I am making app for Nokia S40 series and have a requirement of storing upto 8000 records . Which database i must prefer? I tried rms database but my database gets corrupted on second run. I searched a lot about it and many developers say that rms is not a reliable database and also not suitable for storing such a huge amount of records.

I am new to Symbian java. Please advice.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Which database should be used for storing large number of records in Symbian java

Well J2ME is not symbian java for once, since you obviously talking about Nokia Series40 which is not symbian.

You have the following options:
    1. RMS
    2. file system and your own file format to be used as a DB
    3. remote DB via web interface that you can interact with in a highlevel api for the action your app needs to make.

Re: Which database should be used for storing large number of records in Symbian java

Hello shai.i,

Thanks for replying. Can you send me code for 2nd and 3rd option you provided or any link regarding these that could take me further.

Regards.
    Manpreet

help please how can increse the size of rms database

I am working on S40 asha nokia apps .I am new in j2me.i am using RMS database in my aap.i have to store more than 8,000 records.but after 6000 records rms give RecordStroeFullException .i got stuck so plz help me that how we can extend the memory of rms datastore.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: help please how can increse the size of rms database

I suppose you have reached the maximum size 512KB limit there. I would suggest you to check whether you could split the data in more-than-one store.

but i cant use more than one recordstore so plz tell me how can i store more than 8000 records and how to extends rms database size

please suggest me for RMS datastore tutorials of S40 for asha nokia.can we increase the size of rms recordstore if we insert memory card in simulator .

Nokia Developer Champion

Sorry i dont have a link for you, those are stuff that you'll either have to implement yourself or google and find something ready made.

Quote Originally Posted by vikrantthegroove View Post
    please suggest me for RMS datastore tutorials of S40 for asha nokia.can we increase the size of rms recordstore if we insert memory card in simulator .
    Hi vikrantthegroove,

"Each Midlet Suite allows to create multiple RecordStores (up to 2000, each with maximum size 512KB on Series 40)"
    Second this information you can have 1GB of storage data in your application.

Please check the slides/webninar below, this can help you:
    http://www.slideshare.net/nokia-deve...-for-series-40

thanks for reply ,but please tell me that we extend the size of memory of rms datarecords internal memory or out of memory??.......how we can extends memory after inserting memory card in emulator
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vikrantthegroove View Post
    thanks for reply ,but please tell me that we extend the size of memory of rms datarecords internal memory or out of memory??.......how we can extends memory after inserting memory card in emulator
    thanks

You can't extend the size of a RecordStore, "limited" to 512KB, but you can use multiples records to store your data (512KB per record * 2000 = 1GB total data).

If you have problems with the "limited" size of the RMS RecordStore you can consider use the JSR 75 to work with big files but in this mode you need to implement your own methods to access, modify and return data.

I never worked with larger data than 512KB but normally I use more than one RecordStore to save my persistence data.

My sugestion is:
    try to split you data in more than one RecordStore, like 2000 records per part, this is simple to archive and manage.

What's your data size in bytes?
    Last edited by TK2000; 2013-05-13 at 15:07. Reason: duplicate entries due network problem =)

hello,our data size is so much large and i can't use more than one recordstore, so opease suggest me that is there any other database which i can use properly. In my aap, database will increase day to day.When user will use my aap,then size of datastore will increase day to day.so please suggest me other database .Till now i was using rms datarecordstore but main problem was that it can't store large amount data.please help me.
    Last edited by vikrantthegroove; 2013-05-14 at 08:21.

The second option uses JSR-75 File-Connection API.
    The third option uses the Connector class and HTTPSConnection.
    We have a bit about this in the Wiki and there is even a recored webinar. Is that sufficient? If there are more question, please do not hesitate to ask.

Furthermore, for the first option, have a look at that thread. Another guy has exactly the same requirements like you. Interesting.
    Last edited by traud; 2013-05-14 at 07:47.

hello .please help me, what is the main reason of "RMS file corrupt detcted ".i faced such type of problem so please tell me that what was the reason of file corrupt.I have used CloseRecordStore() method after using record store yet i face the problem of "RMS file corrupt detcted ".