Discussion Board

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Nokia Developer Expert

Thumbs up Python for S60 2.0.0 released

Python for S60 2.0.0 is now released. This is an officially signed release.

You can download the release from the usual place in maemo garage:

https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=854

This release runs on S60 3rd edition, S60 3rd edition FP1, S60 3rd edition FP2 and S60 5th edition devices.

The release includes:
    - Installer for Windows platform that includes
    - Getting started guide
    - Nokia signed PyS60 runtime sis which will work on S60 3rdEd, 3rdEdFP1, 3rdEdFP2 and 5thEd devices.
    - Two Nokia signed default capability set PythonScriptShell sis files.
    - Nokia signed high capas PythonScriptShell sis. This sis file comes with higher capabilities than self signed (SwEvent, WriteDeviceData, ReadDeviceData)
    - Unsigned developer certificate PythonScriptShell sis. This sis file can be used for Symbian Open signing.
    - Application packaging tool with GUI and README
    - Archive for Linux/Mac platform which includes the same contents as included in Windows installer
    - Separate SDK zips for 3rdEdFP1 and 3rdEdFP2. SDK zip contains both gcce and armv5 link libraries. Python 3rdEdFP2 SDK zip will work fine on S60 3rdEd and 5thEd
    - Python source code
    - OpenSSL source code. This source code is released just to be in complaint with the terms of LGPL licensed software. This source code is
    nothing to do with PyS60 software.
    - Python for S60 pdf documentation

The release is officially Nokia signed. The capabilities for the PythonForS60 component are "ALL -TCB -DRM -AllFiles", so the DLLs are usable with almost all applications as is and thus there is no longer a need for a separate unsigned-freedevcert version of this package.

The Script Shell packages are signed and available in different flavors varying in the capability set.
    The capability set for PythonScriptShell_2.0.0_3_0.sis is ReadUserData WriteUserData NetworkServices LocalServices UserEnvironment.
    The capability set for PythonScriptShell_2.0.0_3_2 is ReadUserData WriteUserData NetworkServices LocalServices UserEnvironment Location.
    The capability set for PythonScriptShell_2.0.0_high_capas.sis is LocalServices NetworkServices ReadUserData WriteUserData UserEnvironment Location SwEvent WriteDeviceData ReadDeviceData

If you need more capabilities, you need to obtain a devcert and sign the PythonScriptShell_2.0.0_unsigned_devcert.sis script shell package with it. The UID for unsigned_devcert script shell package is updated with untrusted range (0xE0000000...0xEFFFFFFF)
    The capability set for unsigned_devcert script shell package is LocalServices NetworkServices ReadUserData WriteUserData UserEnvironment Location PowerMgmt ProtServ SwEvent SurroundingsDD ReadDeviceData WriteDeviceData TrustedUI

Now, on to what we have now - the 2.0.0 release.

On the brighter side:

- Repeat support added in 4-way directional pad

- Lot of memory leaks in the interpreter code is fixed.

- appuifw.app.track_allocations can be set if the interpreter should track all memory allocations and then free the memory which was not explicitly released
    before application exit. To debug memory leaks in 3rd party extension modules set the value to false.

- All the Pyds that have zero UID will be assigned with the applications UID at the time of packaging. As a result, Python applications can now be symbian signed.
    This opens the door for submitting Python applications to OVI Store.

- Pdf documentation is available in the installer/archive.

- Python Runtime and application sis can be on different drives. The limitation of both should be installed on the same drive is eliminated.

- API cleanup in the SensorFW module.

- On the below mentioned devices Python runtime and its dependencies will be installed automatically when the Python applications is started.
    6220 classic, N86 8 MP, N85, 6720 classic, 6730 classic, N96, 5730 XpressMusic, N78, 5630 XpressMusic, E52, E55, 6710 Navigator, E75, N79, 5800 XpressMusic, 5530 XpressMusic, 5230, X6 and N97 mini

- The latest PyS60 document is available online on maemo.garage
    http://pys60.garage.maemo.org/doc/

- Couple of defects are fixed with this release. Refer release notes for more details.

Python for S60 source will be made available soon in Symbian Foundation, so that users can contribute easily and actively to the growth of PyS60.

Here are couple of the things that are worse in 2.0.0 when compared to 1.4.5:

- There is an additional dependency to the OpenC libraries, which must be installed for the runtime to work.

- Sadly, S60 2.x devices are not supported by the new code-base, and never will be. This is because OpenC libraries aren't available for S60 2.x.

All users are recommended to upgrade.

Bug reports and feature requests can be filed in mamemo garage. That's what we track regularly, not every thread in the discussion board.
    If you post a bug report only in the DiBo, we might miss it.

Bugs: https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/?at...54&func=browse
    Feature Requests: https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/?at...54&func=browse

When filing bugs, include the device you used, its firmware version (you can see this by entering *#0000# in the idle screen), the PyS60 version
    and a minimal test case (if applicable).

For more details on reporting bugs refer the "Reporting Bugs" section of the Python documentation.

That's it for now. Try it out, send feedback and stay tuned.

Happy hacking!

-- Python for S60 team

Nokia Developer Champion

Smile Re: Python for S60 2.0.0 released

Excellent!!!!! Thanks alot for announcing this. Will surely try it in few minutes.

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft

Re: Python for S60 2.0.0 released

Superb release..!

Drive issue is now solved. Doors to Ovi store are open now. End-user will not have to worry about runtime installation.

Python 2.0 has solved many problems.

Exploring and Testing.

Cheers...
    - Chintan Umraliya

i have written an app that uses the internal gps.

Due the "symbian signed" stuff it runs only inside the scripting Shell.

Is there something changed ?
    Or did i need also this higher capability's for the positioning module.

i don´t want to pay 200$/year +20$ for each Version.

Thanks for the new Version,
    Psy60 is nice,"Symbian Signed" not...

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tvijayan View Post
    The release is officially Nokia signed. The capabilities for the PythonForS60 component are "ALL -TCB -DRM -AllFiles", so the DLLs are usable with almost all applications as is and thus there is no longer a need for a separate unsigned-freedevcert version of this package.

- All the Pyds that have zero UID will be assigned with the applications UID at the time of packaging. As a result, Python applications can now be symbian signed.
    This opens the door for submitting Python applications to OVI Store.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by telemaxx View Post
    i have written an app that uses the internal gps.

Due the "symbian signed" stuff it runs only inside the scripting Shell.

Is there something changed ?
    Or did i need also this higher capability's for the positioning module.

i don´t want to pay 200$/year +20$ for each Version.

Thanks for the new Version,
    Psy60 is nice,"Symbian Signed" not...

Thomas
    Just to be clear, you made a sis file that doesn't work but the script works?

Have you specified the necessary capabilities when creating the sis with the Application Packager? This is required before Symbian signing it.

Just to be clear, you made a sis file that doesn't work but the script works?
    yes,inside the scripting shell my script get the capabilities of the shell,
    so its possible to access the internal gps. As a Standalone App it has only the "User capabilities"
    and the Positioning module is not Part of that.So my program fails.

Is that correct ?

Have you specified the necessary capabilities when creating the sis with the Application Packager? This is required before Symbian signing it.
    Howto,without paying 200$ ?

Thanks,
    Thomas

Super Contributor

Thanx !!!

--jouni

Super Contributor

Great, great ! Long awaited version is finally out and with many improvements. But today I forgot my S60 phone at home ...

Could anyone explain this statement ? I missed the part "pyds with zero UID". What does it mean ? Do we have a list ?

All the Pyds that have zero UID will be assigned with the applications UID at the time of packaging. As a result, Python applications can now be symbian signed.This opens the door for submitting Python applications to OVI Store.

Do the 2.0.0 runtime capabilities include Positioning (GPS)?

I have a standalone app that uses the internal GPS . With 1.4.5 (on 3rdEdFP2). I just assign Positioning capability to my sis with Ensymble and it works without having to OpenSign it or anything else.

Will this work with 2.0.0 too?

Thanks

Can I run a 1.4.5 standalone app and have 2.0.0 installed?

The app's sis was was created with mergesis and inclundes the 1.4.5 runtime.

Thanks again

Smile Re: Python for S60 2.0.0 released

Quote Originally Posted by bogdan.galiceanu View Post
    That was the Hint i needed. Thanks a lot Bogdan.

I add:
    --caps=Location+ReadUserData+WriteUserData+NetworkServices+UserEnvironment
    as option to Ensymble and now it work,YES i am happy!

and i dont need to symbiansign it.i am a bit confused now.but doesn't matter,it works.

Thanks,
    Thomas

Nokia Developer Moderator

Thanks for releasing! Though surprised to see it on maemo garage!

More feedback soon! Hacking...
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Those are wonderful news!!

I'd like to know if now it's possible to upload apps at Ovi Store written with PyS60!

The releases now will be frequently? (Every month) ?

I expect so,

One more time! Congrats for the PyS60 Team for this (late) but very expected release!

Marcel
    Marcel Pinheiro Caraciolo
    5800 XM, E63, N95, N800

http://mobideia.blogspot.com
    http://croozeus.com/blogs/

Regular Contributor

I have not had a chance to install it yet but does anybody know if the listbox scrolling has been fixed on touch device with kinetic scrolling firmware (N97 v20 or the latest 5800 firmware)?

Raf
    http://www.bdcsoftware.com/development-blog

Regular Contributor

Replaying to myself:

Scrolling on devices with kinetic firmware still does not work. Nokia devs, please fix this bug. Listbox is the the most useful widget on pys60 and having it not working, essentially cripples the runtime on touch screen devices to the point of being a waste of space on the phone. You could look at it this way: you can only assign canvas, textbox or listbox to the body of the app. By having one of them not working correctly you eliminated huge chunk of functionality.

I could understand not fixing the icon bug or the memory leak in the listbox, but not fixing the whole listbox? That bug is a showstopper in my opinion and the runtime should not have been released with it, especially not through the official phone update software (this runtime went out the end users on many phone types).

As far as I can tell the following devices are affected:

N97
    N97 Mini
    and I'm sure a few more of the lower-end devices too.

Raf

P.S Somehow I knew this would happen
    http://www.bdcsoftware.com/development-blog