Discussion Board

IMEI via USB Interface

I need to read the IMEI from Windows Phone devices via the USB interface. We currently accomplish this with Android devices using the Android Debug Bridge (ADB.exe) application that is supplied with the Android SDK. Is there a similar utility available for Windows Phone devices that can be used to accomplish this?

Mark

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: IMEI via USB Interface

The Windows Phone SDK contains a tool called WPConnect, you can try if it supports anything similar. If you hack a device to behave as a modem, AT+CGSN command may provide some serial number.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    The Windows Phone SDK contains a tool called WPConnect, you can try if it supports anything similar. If you hack a device to behave as a modem, AT+CGSN command may provide some serial number.
    I dont think you can use WPConnect for that. WPConnect is usually used to debug apps without having the need to have Zune running. When you have Zune running there are certain tasks on WP that cant be launched on the physical device. This tool allows you to do it.

More info: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.92).aspx

As far as I know there is no API that exposed the IMEI and there is no way to get it by using the developer tools. That makes me think Mark, why do you need to get it by USB cable? Its available on the about screen on settings. If you have physical access to the devices, whats the point?

Thanks João and Wizard,

This application, or module, is needed to read the IMEI off devices that are presented to our warranty repair department. We track phones throughout the repair process by their IMEI / ESN. Often, the reason for repair is a broken or cracked screen that may preclude reading the IMEI from the firmware application that displays it.

Thanks for letting me know about the WPConnect utility! I will investigate that and post back to this thread what I find out.

Mark

Hi Mark,

If the device does not turn on? What if the malfunction prevents the devices from working properly, in a way that you cant connect using the USB? You will only be able to get that information at the very end of the repair. Do you start repairing a device before knowing if the device if under warranty?

Just trying to understand how that would work for you, because for example, my Lumia 900 does not have an IMEI anywhere on the body, and if I loose my original package and if the screen does not turn on, I have no way to know the IMEI. Thats why I usually take a picture of the box and attach it to the original Invoice just in case. Also In Portugal warranties are only possible to use if you have the original invoice and in that case having the IMEI or Serial is not required.

Back to the API, there was no way to get that information from Windows Phone 7.x and it seems that its still not possible to get it with WP8. If you find a way, please do share with us!

João,

That is precisely the conundrum we are facing as a repair facility. Being able to read the IMEI via a USB connection would be of no help in the event of a defective battery / non-booting device. But, devices often present for repair with a cracked screen (HTC's new 8x Accord model will display the IMEI in a firmware diagnostic mode).

Damaged screens are a very common repair scenario. So, these repairs aren't for the end user. Rather, we receive volume shipments of devices to be repaired / refurbished from several carriers. Some of them are warranty items while others are being reconditioned for a second life ...

Mark

Lumia SerialNumbers

I have linux computer that is used to record some details of lumia phones that I handle. One info is imei that I need to get. lsusb gives iSerial but that does not seem to be imei. mtp-detect offers another serial for me but either that doesn't seem to be imei. I would like to automate this couse I'm lazy and typing imeis by hand is lame and I keep doing typing errors

forexample:

lumia 920 I have just now has

imei: 354149056735746
    lsusb gives iSerial 00000011737790CD0000000000000000
    and mtp-detect : 4eaedaf0dfbf1f68cf9ea159ceba1f6c

is this mtp serial somehow decoded imei? or does someone figure out a way to do this. and please keep in mind that this system I'm working here is linux
    or atleast some Open API that can be used from computer to fetch that imei automatically.

thx Jarno

Re: Lumia SerialNumbers

The question is merged to a similar request now. As you can see, unfortunately there is no solution so far.