Discussion Board

Porting my apps to Asha 501

Yesterday I downloaded the new Asha SDK in order to take a look how my apps would look like on the new Asha 501. (it's still not in RDA, is it?) The results are not so promising.

First app runs, but the UI feels very cramped on the 320x240 display.

Second needs to run in landscape mode, and the Asha simulator seems to ignore the Nokia-MIDlet-App-Orientation in the .jad file. Worse! Even if I manually switch the orientation to landscape (the simulator insists on always starting in portrait mode) it does not seem to call a sizeChanged() in my Canvas classes so in short - no way to even take a look at how this app would look.

Third even worse. It's a 3G app using M3G . The app starts, splashscreen shows, first few frames of the 2D background show, but as soon as the first 3G frame begins rendering, the whole Asha simulator crashes. Have you even run a M3G app in this simulator?

Besides, sound does not seem to work in the simulator.
    Last edited by Utumno; 2013-05-17 at 00:11.

Re: Porting my apps to Asha 501

Landscape mode works ok for Asha 1.0

I use this:
    Nokia-MIDlet-App-Orientation: landscape

Actually it works for most Nokia phones.

Nokia Developer Champion

I'd recommend using netbean tool to force the Nokia-MIDlet-App-Orientation attribute into the manifest file.
    Some Nokia phones do ignore the jad file when installing an app.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Utumno View Post
    if I manually switch the orientation to landscape (the simulator insists on always starting in portrait mode) it does not seem to call a sizeChanged() in my Canvas classes
    Same here. However, sizeChanged never worked for me in any Nokia Series 40 automatically, either. Did it work for you?
    Nokia insists on its own Orientation extension and/or the Mobile Sensor API (JSR-256).
    so in short - no way to even take a look at how this app would look.
    I recommend to patch your code manually somehow to start further debugging. Because this new Asha software platform is completely different, compared to what is was for the last ten years. I am sure you will hit a lot more hick-ups. I threat the Nokia 501 like a new Samsung mobile phone. A lot of debugging. Consequently, I go through each of my test-cases one-by-one. I am working with the new emulator for one week now, and here, nobody is being allowed to take time off for the next months. Nevertheless, it looks promising as I have not hit a show-stopper/blocker (yet).
    Have you even run a M3G app in this simulator? […] Sound does not seem to work in the simulator.
    Cannot comment on that because my MIDlets do not use multimedia. I noticed the whole threading model changed to a (now visible) event-dispatcher thread model. Consequently, your current code might execute in a thread which should not block at all. Did you create new threads from within your listeners? Could that be your case?
    Last edited by traud; 2013-05-17 at 12:55.

Thanks traud for a good answer.

Has sizeChanged ever worked for me in S40? Actually I dont know, all the apps are static, two portrait-only and one landscape-only locked to their orientations in the .jad and the sizeChanged() was introduced only to get around some Symbian simulators ignoring the Nokia-MIDlet-App-Orientation before. Previous S40s including previous Asha sims did not ignore the App-Orientation tag so I couldn't see if they support sizeChanged.

When I force the second app to think it is in landscape the app starts and appears to run more-or-less normally, with a very cramped UI of course (and I can only see the left half of the UI because the sim is in portrait). I'll need to add the Orientation extension you are talking about to properly test it.

The threading model changed ? That would be great news as the previous one was simply awful.

Nokia Developer Champion

Just to add
    Code:
    Nokia-MIDlet-App-Orientation: landscape
    works here, in my Nokia 501 emulator. kyuste might be right about your JAD. Nevertheless, for those requiring dynamic changes like me (sizeChanged), that must be enabled through the mentioned Nokia Orientation API.
    Last edited by traud; 2013-05-17 at 12:55.

Yes, indeed works today. I don't know what happened Wednesday...

So basically I have two apps that run but UI needs a lot of work, and one that crashes the simulator

Nokia Developer Champion

Utumno, I recommend to debug this crash and file a bug report. The internal feedback option of the emulator does not work. As you can see, I have filed 20 reports already. Still, no show stopper.
    Last edited by traud; 2013-05-21 at 16:27.

Done: bug 1252 submitted.

Nokia Developer Champion

Thank you for sharing. If time allows it, try to create a stripped down MIDlet (as JAD, JAR, and JAVA), just containing the API call which causes this. This way, the engineer who fixes this bug has a test-case for the start and end of his debugging phase. Furthermore, other users who see you bug are able to double check on their installation. Finally, if we get a new version of the emulator, others can add a comment whether the bug is fixed.
    Last edited by traud; 2013-06-04 at 12:09.

Quote Originally Posted by traud View Post
    Thank you for sharing. If time allows it, try to create a stripped down MIDlet (as JAD, JAR, and JAVA), just containing the API call which causes this. This way, the engineer who fixes this bug has a test-case for the start and end of his debugging phase. Furthermore, other users who see you bug are able to double check on their installation. Finally, if we get a new version of the emulator, others can add a comment whether the bug is fixed. I am in the bug fixing business for sixteen years now, and you do not know how much a ready-made example helps.
    Done - the very first simple M3G MIDlet found online ( accidentally in http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...raw_in_Java_ME ) crashes the Asha 501 simulator, while it does not crash the simulators from Nokia SDK 1.1 and 2.0.

Zipped project attached to the bug.
    Last edited by Utumno; 2013-06-03 at 10:58.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi all,

JSR-184 (M3G) crash of the emulator is known issue for Asha 1.0 Beta SDK. It should be fixed in SDK update.

Best
    Michael

There was an update of the emulator just now but the new one still crashes when I try to run any M3G app in exactly the same manner.

So we've got Asha SDK 1.0 out there and M3G MIDlets still crash the emulator. Typical Nokia!

Nokia Developer Champion

Yep i've had the same experience.... its really making it hard to test one of my app that uses M3G (FlickrFlipper http://store.ovi.com/content/384841) and because i couldnt test it i only submitted it to Asha FT and not the 501...