Discussion Board

Windows Phone Development - Getting Started

I've some free time this weekend, and was going to look into developing a Windows Phone app. I assumed there was just one standard SDK to develop with, but it appears not to be the case. Anyway, initially I tried to download the Windows Phone 8 SDK, but it wouldn't let me install it as I only have Windows 7 on my machine. Looking through Google, there doesn't seem to be an easy way around this restriction. Since I cannot download WP8 SDK, I see there is a 7.8 SDK, a 7.11 SDK and a 7.1 SDK and I am not sure which I should download. Basically, I'd like to try and write one app that will work for all of 7.5/7.8/8.0. Is this currently possible? If it is, will I be able to test my app through RDA on Windows Phone 8 devices and have the same user experience? Any thoughts or experience on cross SDK development would be appreciated.

Also, has anyone got any other guides, recommendations, websites or suggestions for an experienced developer (albeit a developer who has never touched .net) looking to get started on Windows Phone? I am particularly interested on material about how design patterns can be utilized and any other best practices when developing apps.

Bear in mind, I am running a modern machine under Windows 7 and only have a WP 7.8 HTC Mozart (it was free!) to test my applications against. Please excuse any of my newbie-ness

Kind regards,
    grift.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Windows Phone Development - Getting Started

Are you willing to try to use an VMWare virtual machine?

If so take a look at this wiki article. All software is free or trial, so no costs involved. I would recomend you to upgrade to Windows 8 eventually, but for at least 1 month you will be able to use this setup. 3 months if you use VMWare player instead of VMWare Workstation

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...rking_Emulator

Nokia Developer Moderator

As you have a WP7.8 device, it would be a rather natural choice picking the WP7.8 SDK (in fact you will get an all-WP7-versions SDK, as WP7.8 is an update to 7.0/7.1 and also brings 7.5 with it as I remember), which perfectly runs on your Windows 7. Bad news: if you want to test your code on your device, it costs money, regardless of WP the version you use (unlocking the device needs you to be a registered developer, USD 99 or so. If you decide to pay, consider using the Nokia Premium Developer Programme, as it gives some extras for the same price. See details in Resources above -or below-, Developer Programs).
    WP7 code is expected to work on WP8.
    Last edited by wizard_hu_; 2013-05-18 at 00:59.

Quote Originally Posted by joaocardoso View Post
    Are you willing to try to use an VMWare virtual machine?

If so take a look at this wiki article. All software is free or trial, so no costs involved. I would recomend you to upgrade to Windows 8 eventually, but for at least 1 month you will be able to use this setup. 3 months if you use VMWare player instead of VMWare Workstation

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...rking_Emulator
    Handy link. Not prepared to install all that just yet as I just want to get a simple app up and running to see if I like the platform Will keep it in mind if my experiment goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    As you have a WP7.8 device, it would be a rather natural choice picking the WP7.8 SDK (in fact you will get an all-WP7-versions SDK, as WP7.8 is an update to 7.0/7.1 and also brings 7.5 with it as I remember), which perfectly runs on your Windows 7. Bad news: if you want to test your code on your device, it costs money, regardless of WP the version you use (unlocking the device needs you to be a registered developer, USD 99 or so. If you decide to pay, consider using the Nokia Premium Developer Programme, as it gives some extras for the same price. See details in Resources above -or below-, Developer Programs).
    WP7 code is expected to work on WP8.
    Cool, so if I compile code under 7.8 SDK - then my code will work for all versions of WP out there (assuming I handle resolutions correctly of course)?

I just installed Visual Studio 2010, and the 7.8 SDK update. However, when I go to create a project, it will only let me create a 7.0 or a 7.1 version - is there a way I can tell VS 2010 to add the 7.8 SDK as an option for a new app?

That's a pain about not being able to test on a local device. Are you referring to me needing to get the device unlocked (SIM lock by the operator? I think I might be able to get that sorted out) or do MS themselves have their own SIM locking process?

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by grift View Post
    Cool, so if I compile code under 7.8 SDK - then my code will work for all versions of WP out there (assuming I handle resolutions correctly of course)?

I just installed Visual Studio 2010, and the 7.8 SDK update. However, when I go to create a project, it will only let me create a 7.0 or a 7.1 version - is there a way I can tell VS 2010 to add the 7.8 SDK as an option for a new app?
    7.0 and 7.1 are the SDK levels. 7.5 and 7.8 are "consumer names" basically.

7.0 was the initial release of Windows Phone, and I don't think there's any point in targeting this version as all devices were upgradable to 7.1 (ie. 7.5 or Mango).

7.8 introduced a couple of small features and the 3 tile sizes from Windows Phone 8 *but* there is no new APIs - that's why there's no 7.8 target. If you wanted your app to use small or wide tiles there is a helper library to do this called Mangopollo

In summary - I would recommend you target 7.1 - your app will then run on all devices running 7.5, 7.8 and 8.0.

Quote Originally Posted by grift View Post
    That's a pain about not being able to test on a local device. Are you referring to me needing to get the device unlocked (SIM lock by the operator? I think I might be able to get that sorted out) or do MS themselves have their own SIM locking process?
    Windows Phone development works like iOS development when it comes to devices, you must be a PAID and registered developer which then allows you to "developer unlock" (not related to SIM locking) your device - basically, you can deploy your apps to the device. A free account does not allow this.

Quote Originally Posted by theothernt View Post
    7.0 and 7.1 are the SDK levels. 7.5 and 7.8 are "consumer names" basically.

7.0 was the initial release of Windows Phone, and I don't think there's any point in targeting this version as all devices were upgradable to 7.1 (ie. 7.5 or Mango).

7.8 introduced a couple of small features and the 3 tile sizes from Windows Phone 8 *but* there is no new APIs - that's why there's no 7.8 target. If you wanted your app to use small or wide tiles there is a helper library to do this called Mangopollo

In summary - I would recommend you target 7.1 - your app will then run on all devices running 7.5, 7.8 and 8.0.

Windows Phone development works like iOS development when it comes to devices, you must be a PAID and registered developer which then allows you to "developer unlock" (not related to SIM locking) your device - basically, you can deploy your apps to the device. A free account does not allow this.
    Gotcha, so the SDK versioning is a little funky, it all makes sense now. Thanks for your help!