Discussion Board

How to handle infinite page navigation loops?

Hello, I'll give Twitter as an example for an "infinite page navigation loop":

In twitter there is a page where we can read a tweet (page A), in that tweet there might be a "mention" and when we click on it we go to the mentioned user's profile page (page B). From the profile page we can see the user's tweets so we can navigate to tweet reading page again. This can go on forever and we might end up with a very deep page stack:

Page A => Page B => Page A => Page B => Page A ...

My question is: is this hurtful for our app? Might this consume all the phone memory and crash the program after a while? If yes how should we avoid or handle this problem?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: How to handle infinite page navigation loops?

Hi Zuluuuu

If you properly dispose objects when navigating away from a page, you don't should have memory problems as page get destroyed and memory released. But i think This navigation model can hurts app usability. I think you can remove navigation backstack when reaching a page beyond the third level of navigation, making the back operation going straight forward to the main page...

Quote Originally Posted by josueyeray View Post
    Hi Zuluuuu

If you properly dispose objects when navigating away from a page, you don't should have memory problems as page get destroyed and memory released. But i think This navigation model can hurts app usability. I think you can remove navigation backstack when reaching a page beyond the third level of navigation, making the back operation going straight forward to the main page...
    But I do want the user to be able to go back throughout the history. Which is the case with the current Twitter app, as well.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuuuuuu View Post
    But I do want the user to be able to go back throughout the history. Which is the case with the current Twitter app, as well.
    I think that if you have a good case for this navigation flow, then go ahead. As you say, Twitter uses it on Windows Phone and I can think of a number of other apps on other platforms where it is used as well.

As with most UI/UX decisions, you have to ask yourself the question: does it make sense to the user? will they know where they are? can they get home?

This scenario is no different from a user who keeps navigating to a new tweet (with no loops).