Discussion Board

Accessing files in Asha emulator

Hi,

I'm developing an app, which will need a file access, and I would like to develop with the Asha emulator. I discovered that the emulator's file system can be found from \Nokia\Devices\Nokia_SDK_2_0_Java\bin\storage and under that there's bunch of folder 2002, 2004 etc. If I add my files to the newest folder those will appear on the emulator.

The problem is that the Asha emulator keeps on creating new folders all the time, so I have to add the files every time when the emulator starts. Right now I have something like 10 folders under that directory, and if I shutdown the emulator, and start it again, then I'll have another folder for the file system again.

This is very frustrating, and it's eating my disc space as well. Do you have any fix how to get the emulator to stick into only one storage folder, instead of creating a new one on every startup.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Accessing files in Asha emulator

If you mention SDK 2.0, we are talking about the Series 40 Full Touch emulator (Nokia 305), don’t we? How do you start the emulator? In the left, upper corner of the emulator menu, there is the ‘name’ of the current emulator. This corresponds with the folders on your hard disk. I start the emulator from the Windows Start menu and end up with 2000 if there is no other emulator still running. For me, its sounds like the previous emulator was not exited on your computer correctly. Why?

You are right, the emulator crashes when my application gets an exception "forbidden" for the file access. I have had plenty of other crashes with the emulator as well. Sometimes it just crashes to "class not found" when trying to start debugging, but cleaning & rebuilding the project helps for that. Is there a way to stop changing the name of the emulator somehow, and stop this madness. Creating new folder after every crash is driving me crazy.

Nokia Developer Champion

If the emulator exits normally, no new emulator is started, consequently its name does not change, consequently you access the same folder. I do not know what part of the emulator crashes for you. All I know, you have to exit the whole emulator.

Furthermore, you should isolate the crash and create a stripped down sample MIDlet (source, JAD, and JAR). Then drop it in the Nokia Bug database or use a technical support ticket. Otherwise this won’t get fixed at all.

ok, I'll see what I can do about the stripped down midlet. Maybe I could edit some of the forum.nokia examples to reproduce the issue. I'll come back to this issue when I get my app running, waiting for bug fixes & releases is not really an option for me

Currently I know now that I get the "forbidden" for accessing a folder where I do not have the access rights (I had my file in the C-root), and I should be able to get my app running. I'm currently planning to use the new Asha SDK's fileselection dialog to select the file instead of using a static URL, so guess that should fix all the "forbidden" exceptions, since I shouldn't see folders where I do not have the right to read files.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by summeli View Post
    I'll come back to this issue when I get my app running, waiting for bug fixes & releases is not really an option for me.
    Yes, creating such a stripped down MIDlet takes time. Yes, you do not have the time to wait until this bug get fixed.

I am talking about tracking down this bug. Perhaps in this course, you are able to find a workaround yourself. Furthermore, if you file that bug early, others may find a workaround for you. Consequently, creating such a stripped down MIDlet today has potential to speed up your work. Anyway, something kills your emulator and that is abnormal. Finally, if you plan to use the new Asha software platform, use it today – because its implementation is completely different from Series 40 you may find other issues.

This emulator bug is fixed now in the new Asha 1.0 SDK! Thanks Nokia :-)