Discussion Board

asha phone support chinese input and language ?

hi,

juz like to know does the new asha 501 phone support chinese input and language because its seems like my asha 310 does support chinese input and language even thought i had updated it with the latest 7.37 firmware..

regards

Re: asha phone support chinese input and language ?

The Nokia 310 supports simplified Chinese, if you go for the correct product-code variant. The Nokia 501 is not yet released.

hi,
    i got the device from the premium developer program.
    its does not have the simplified chinese language option (it has others language such as malagasy, lingala etc).
    i had updated the firmware via the nokia suite to the latest release
    its still does not have the simplified chinese language.
    how do i have the chinese language in the device to test my app?

regards

Quote Originally Posted by traud View Post
    The Nokia 310 supports simplified Chinese, if you go for the correct product-code variant. The Nokia 501 is not yet released.

Super Contributor

With "language packs", Nokia preinstalls a set of supported language (Nokia decides on the combination) for a specific country/region. The supported language by a given firmware package for Nokia device is determined by a "product code" variable/value (which is not user/developer changeable).

When you use Nokia's tools/service to upgrade the firmware, Nokia's servers use the model and product code information to determine which firmware package (with which languages) it provides you (or the Nokia Suite app) for upgrading/updating the firmware. This way, if the phone had a specific set/selection of languages, firmware updates will only updated the same languages and not add new ones (or remove things you had).

In some cases/markets there are "grey" importers/distributors that against Nokia's advise buy phones intended for a specific country/region and then import and resell those phones in another country/region. Sometimes they resell them as-is. Sometimes they do change manually the firmware package to suite the other country/region, but either don't care or don't have the knowledge/tools to modify the product code. If you such device is updated via Nokia's (consumer) tools then the device languages will revert back to the original set. E.g. if the phone was intended for sale in Germany, but someone imported it to to, say Dubai and changed to a firmware with Arabic support, a user's firmware update will change it back to the German version (or "variant").

Nokia does not support user or developer installable separate/indepdendent "language packs", but Nokia preselects the languages that "belong" to a country/region variant firmware package, and then only those "prepackaged" combinations are available/work.

This applies to Series 40/Asha and Symbian/S60 (Anna, Belle) and maemo/MeeGo based Nokia models. With Windows Phone based models, I think Microsoft controls which languages a given Winows Phone version supports and delivers are those language in every phone (much like what Google/Android does, and Apple/iOS).

In other words, you can not (Edit: Added the missing "not" here) use end-user tools (like PC Suite/Nokia Suite or over-the-air firmware updating) to change the supported language on an Asha phone. And Nokia does not support updating/changing the firmware in any other way. An authorized Nokia service/repair center may be able to do it, but they may not want to do it, or they might not have access to the tools or don't know how to use them to do it. If they can do it, they may have a policy against doing it, or they might charge separate for it.

With a device obtained through the Premium Developer Program, you can try to contact the program and ask if they can replace your device with a new device with Chinese preinstalled (i.e., with a firmware package intended to be used for devices sold in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong or other countries/regions where Nokia include Chinese - simplified or traditional - support).

Also, all languages are not available immediately, at the same time. E.g., Nokia might first create firmware versions where it intends to launch the product, and release firmware for other countries/regions much (even months) later, when it starts to sell the model in those countries.

Note also that if the phone model is not intended (by Nokia) to be sold in a specific country/region in the first place, then Nokia may not have created a suitable firmware with those languages at all. E.g., for most Nokia models, there simply does not exist a firmware with Japanese support as very few Nokia models have been available for sale in Japan.
    Last edited by petrib; 2013-05-28 at 17:37.

hi,

i see.
    in this case i will seek Premium Developer Program developer support on this.

thanx very very much for your prompt reply/advise..

regards

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    With "language packs", Nokia preinstalls a set of supported language (Nokia decides on the combination) for a specific country/region. The supported language by a given firmware package for Nokia device is determined by a "product code" variable/value (which is not user/developer changeable).

When you use Nokia's tools/service to upgrade the firmware, Nokia's servers use the model and product code information to determine which firmware package (with which languages) it provides you (or the Nokia Suite app) for upgrading/updating the firmware. This way, if the phone had a specific set/selection of languages, firmware updates will only updated the same languages and not add new ones (or remove things you had).

In some cases/markets there are "grey" importers/distributors that against Nokia's advise buy phones intended for a specific country/region and then import and resell those phones in another country/region. Sometimes they resell them as-is. Sometimes they do change manually the firmware package to suite the other country/region, but either don't care or don't have the knowledge/tools to modify the product code. If you such device is updated via Nokia's (consumer) tools then the device languages will revert back to the original set. E.g. if the phone was intended for sale in Germany, but someone imported it to to, say Dubai and changed to a firmware with Arabic support, a user's firmware update will change it back to the German version (or "variant").

Nokia does not support user or developer installable separate/indepdendent "language packs", but Nokia preselects the languages that "belong" to a country/region variant firmware package, and then only those "prepackaged" combinations are available/work.

This applies to Series 40/Asha and Symbian/S60 (Anna, Belle) and maemo/MeeGo based Nokia models. With Windows Phone based models, I think Microsoft controls which languages a given Winows Phone version supports and delivers are those language in every phone (much like what Google/Android does, and Apple/iOS).

In other words, you can use end-user tools (like PC Suite/Nokia Suite or over-the-air firmware updating) to change the supported language on an Asha phone. And Nokia does not support updating/changing the firmware in any other way. An authorized Nokia service/repair center may be able to do it, but they may not want to do it, or they might not have access to the tools or don't know how to use them to do it. If they can do it, they may have a policy against doing it, or they might charge separate for it.

With a device obtained through the Premium Developer Program, you can try to contact the program and ask if they can replace your device with a new device with Chinese preinstalled (i.e., with a firmware package intended to be used for devices sold in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong or other countries/regions where Nokia include Chinese - simplified or traditional - support).

Also, all languages are not available immediately, at the same time. E.g., Nokia might first create firmware versions where it intends to launch the product, and release firmware for other countries/regions much (even months) later, when it starts to sell the model in those countries.

Note also that if the phone model is not intended (by Nokia) to be sold in a specific country/region in the first place, then Nokia may not have created a suitable firmware with those languages at all. E.g., for most Nokia models, there simply does not exist a firmware with Japanese support as very few Nokia models have been available for sale in Japan.

mrrekcuf, they cannot help you either because they have no access to these tools either. Just do a search for a cracked Nokia Phoenix (which does not need that USB dongle) and you are done in half an hour. Nevertheless, I would not do it. The emulator is a Nokia 305 which is quite the same as our East-African Nokia 310. Furthermore, within the emulator you are able to switch to any language pack you like. Your real device gives you other languages and it is a goof double-check how you app looks like.

On the other hand, if you learn how to do it, you can switch/swap to any language you like, as often as you like.

I bought the Asha 501 two weeks back. It does support chinese language but unfortunately no chinese input yet. The firmware has not been updated to support the chinese input.

Zapperzip, the Nokia 501 is based on the new Asha software platform, completely different compared to the previous Nokia Series 40 phones. Its features will mature over time. However, because the Nokia 501 is engineered in Beijing, I am sure a Chinese keyboard is going to come …