Discussion Board

Working with J2me or Symbian for some specific purposes!

I have developed an application in Java (j2me), I wanted to extend it to access some features like phone call log from phone. I was told that I might be able to do this by shifting to Symbian development. Now a few questions I really need to answer as exactly are:

1 - Is it really do able? (to access call log of phone using Symbian)
    2 - I also read that Symbian development is in C++ and Java, so If somehow Question 1's answer is a YES, then can I do the same thing (access call log) using java in Symbian?

Just these two questions are very important to know in case to move forward, thanks
    Last edited by saqibatiq; 2013-05-27 at 08:53.

Re: Working with J2me or Symbian for some specific purposes!

Quote Originally Posted by saqibatiq View Post

1 - Is it really do able? (to access call log of phone using Symbian)
    yes

2 - I also read that Symbian development is in C++ and Java, so If somehow Question 1's answer is a YES, then can I do the same thing (access call log) using java in Symbian?
    This is what APIBridge promises, but i have no experience on this:

https://www.developer.nokia.com/Reso...her/APIBridge/

br,
    pg

You can run a background task developed in Symbian C++ that will perform the work of accessing phone settings. J2ME can then be used to call the Symbian C++ code when it needs to. Of course, the caveat in all this is that the Nokia Asha line of phones doesn't provide a Symbian C++ API, so this kind of thing is only possible in Symbian devices. With Symbian being deprecated, perhaps it would be better to look at developing a Windows Phone application? Windows Phone will let you access these kind of settings natively and with far less fuss than it would be to create a Symbian C++ bridge. It's also a lot more future-proofed than developing on Symbian phones (which are just about no longer available).

Nokia Developer Champion

What type of phones do you want to target ? Asha/Series40 or Symbian?
    You cant do that in j2me either way.

pavarang: APIBridge doesnt offer such service (it has a predefined set of services)

Quote Originally Posted by grift View Post
    You can run a background task developed in Symbian C++ that will perform the work of accessing phone settings. J2ME can then be used to call the Symbian C++ code when it needs to. Of course, the caveat in all this is that the Nokia Asha line of phones doesn't provide a Symbian C++ API, so this kind of thing is only possible in Symbian devices. With Symbian being deprecated, perhaps it would be better to look at developing a Windows Phone application? Windows Phone will let you access these kind of settings natively and with far less fuss than it would be to create a Symbian C++ bridge. It's also a lot more future-proofed than developing on Symbian phones (which are just about no longer available).
    Well, thanks for the suggestion but I have to stick with Symbians and of course latest platforms give you more access for such things, as I did in android. But anyways, thanks for the answer though it didn't pointed to my problem...

Quote Originally Posted by shai.i View Post
    What type of phones do you want to target ? Asha/Series40 or Symbian?
    You cant do that in j2me either way.

pavarang: APIBridge doesnt offer such service (it has a predefined set of services)
    I intended to target all the devices (Java enabled, which includes S40, S60 all editions (With j2me not Nokia SDKs)) but unfortunately as S40 doesn't come with Symbian and the feature I required are not available with j2me so I had to shift to Symbian targetting only Symbian devices which are actually S60 series. And thanks for clarifying about J2me features because I tried API bridge already but didn't get any success... Thanks once again!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Extending Java ME with native code is often referred as MIDP JNI (sometimes MIDPJNI), you can search for the topic with Google, it was extensively discussed in the past.
    A related article from the Wiki: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu..._ME_on_Symbian
    For the APIBridge stuff, I have no experience, but based on http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...idge_Interface I would also conclude that it does offer access to the call logs. See section http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ogging_Service

Regular Contributor

I intended to target all the devices (Java enabled, which includes S40, S60 all editions (With j2me not Nokia SDKs)) but unfortunately as S40 doesn't come with Symbian and the feature I required are not available with j2me so I had to shift to Symbian targetting only Symbian devices which are actually S60 series.
    Do you still want to targeting s60 device (5800,n97,x6...).I mean previous users would already upgrade to more latest symbian belle phone (n8,c7,700,808...) or eventually would.Is it still worth the effort ?