Discussion Board

Thread: Midi API

Midi API

Has anybody used the Midi API thats available on some of the series 40 phones like 7250, 5100 etc?? I am not talking about MMAPI or the Monophonic Nokia UI Api.

Please revert back with where I can find this API. Thanks a lot.

Regular Contributor
    There are no separate MIDI APIs. One uses MMAPIs to play MIDI as well.

[N]/Forum Nokia

Hi, Thank you for your response. I recently attended a Nokia showcase, where i got hold of a nokia brochure with all the nokia devices available in the market. In the section Java APIs, there's a clear mention of MIDI API for devices like 5100, 6800, 7250 etc.. For 3650, yes its MMAPI.

A similar brochure can also be found at
    http://americas.forum.nokia.com/devi...cas_matrix.pdf

Please clarify.

Regular Contributor
    We are investigating the issue with our conterparts in the Americas region. As of now I suggest you refer to the device matrix at www.forum.nokia.com/devices

[N]/Forum Nokia

Hi, Thank you for your prompt replies, you seem to be reviving my belief in this forum!

The product matrix (hard copy) I have, is that of Asia-Pacific, and the information is the same. Also, in the link I mentioned before, though the matrix is from the americas forum, for each product I am referring to, the region cell does state Americas, Europe, Africa and Asia-Pacific.

I have been trying various Midi APIs (stripped down version of MMAPI, Media api of J2SE etc), to try and figure out what this api is thats available on these phones. I am beginning to believe that its some Nokia API that was being used before the standard (MMAPI) was in place.

I would have just used MMAPI, but unfortunately only the 3650 supports JSR 135

Regular Contributor
    The device matrix you referred to were out-dated. They will be updated soon. Please refer to the device matrix at www.forum.nokia.com.devices. There is no proprietory MIDI API from Nokia.

[N]/Forum Nokia

Thank you.

One last question, does an "outdated-matrix" imply that old phones had that ability while the new phones coming into the market do not?

I dont mind developing a different version of my app with MIDI API, if it can then support older firmwares of Series 40. Resorting to just MMAPI restricts my customer base to just the 3650 for the moment.

Thanks.

Regular Contributor
    There is no MIDI API and therefore no phones that ever supported it.
    [N]/Forum Nokia