Discussion Board

Ad banner size on device (inneractive J2ME SDK)

Hello,

Ran into a weird issue when playing with inneractive J2ME SDK. On Nokia SDK 2.0 for Java emulator, banner ads look good and fill around 90% of the screen width, but on a real device of similar screen specs (Asha 310), the ads are much smaller, around half of the screen width. Banner ads look too small also on Nokia 808, haven't yet tried on others.

At first I thought that maybe I did something wrong, but the same thing happens also with inneractive's own example app that comes with the SDK. I'm using inneractiveAdSDK-J2ME-v1.0.9, which is the latest version available in their website.

Anybody else seen this, any suggestions?

Re: Ad banner size on device (inneractive J2ME SDK)

banners.jpg

Attached is a picture with the emulator and Asha 310 side by side - they're both running the inneractive sample application and showing the same ad. On the emulator, the banner fills almost the whole screen width, on 310 it's around half the size.

Nokia Developer Champion

The sizes of the Banner Ads you are seeing are standards banners sizes based on MMA formats ( i guess from the image that those are 300 x 50 and 168 x 28 )
    despite there are also better sizes such as 320x50 that fits the screen width exactly, the actual banner that you get depands on a number of things:
    A. did the publisher supplied all the different banner sizes? (if not then usually a smaller banner size that fit the width will be used)
    B. did you sent the correct screen size (width and height) of the device to their API call?
    C. what is the user-agent the device sends out to their API call? (the emulator and actual device have different user-agent string)

If you think there is a problem with the device that is being identified wrongly then i suggest you contact InnerActive support via their web console.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by shai.i View Post
    The sizes of the Banner Ads you are seeing are standards banners sizes based on MMA formats ( i guess from the image that those are 300 x 50 and 168 x 28 )
    despite there are also better sizes such as 320x50 that fits the screen width exactly, the actual banner that you get depands on a number of things:
    A. did the publisher supplied all the different banner sizes? (if not then usually a smaller banner size that fit the width will be used)
    I realize that there are a few standard sizes. However, on the emulator most of the ads look good and are almost as wide as the screen, but on Asha 310, which has the same screen resolution, all ads that I've come across are much smaller - not very likely an user would click an ad if a magnifying glass is needed to see what it is about...

In the second message of this thread, I attached an image of the same ad on both the emulator and Asha 310 - you can see the difference there.

B. did you sent the correct screen size (width and height) of the device to their API call?
    Is there a way to specify the screen size for inneractive SDK's getBannerAdData call? Can't find anything related to that in the optional parameters list in their documentation:
    https://inneractive.jira.com/wiki/di...SDK+guidelines

C. what is the user-agent the device sends out to their API call? (there emulator and actual device have different user-agent string)
    Yepp, I was also guessing it has something to do with either the phone's user agent or request parameters for the ad request (which are generated by the SDK). However, was hoping that someone here might already have experience about this, as 310 is the phone supplied to developers in the Asha premium developer program, and lots of applications are ad supported.

I took a look at the inneractive sample application's HTTP requests for ads in both cases.

Emulator:
    Code:
    GET /simpleM2M/clientRequestAd?aid=MyCompany_MyApp&v=2.0.1-J2ME-1.0.9&cid=5501570365&po=551&h=342&w=240&a=30&g=F&k=Games&lg=53.542132,-2.239856&l=US HTTP/1.1
    Host: m2m1.inner-active.mobi
    accept: */*
    Connection: Keep-Alive
    User-Agent: Nokia305/2.0 (p) Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1  UNTRUSTED/1.0
    x-wap-profile: "http://nds1.nds.nokia.com/uaprof/305r100.xml"
    Asha 310:
    Code:
    GET /simpleM2M/clientRequestAd?aid=MyCompany_MyApp&v=2.0.1-J2ME-1.0.9&cid=5501082559&po=551&h=342&w=240&a=30&g=F&k=Games&lg=53.542132,-2.239856&l=US HTTP/1.1
    accept: */*
    Connection: Keep-Alive
    User-Agent: Nokia310/2.0 (07.37) Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1  UNTRUSTED/1.0
    x-wap-profile: "http://nds1.nds.nokia.com/uaprof/Nokia310r100.xml"
    Both requests correctly ask ads for the same screen size (h=342&w=240), but User-Agent and x-wap-profile are different. It seems like the server ignores screen size parameters, and for some reason serves smaller size ads for the 310.

Nokia Developer Champion

Then like i suggested to you its better for you to contact InnerActive directly with the results you have for them to check the issue on their end.

I have already emailed inneractive support about this.

Ran into another banner size issue too, this time with Nokia 501 emulator and with the banner image being too big . Request:

Code:
    GET /simpleM2M/clientRequestAd?aid=MyCompany_MyApp&v=2.0.1-J2ME-1.0.9&cid=5785509662&po=551&h=302&w=240 HTTP/1.1
    User-Agent: Nokia501/2.0 (1.1316.1) Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UNTRUSTED/1.0
    x-network-type: null
    x-wap-profile: http://nds1.nds.nokia.com/uaprof/311r100.xml
    Content-Length: 0
    Accept: */*
    The app was running (and forced to) portrait mode, and again the screen dimensions were correctly sent to the server. However, the ad image from the server did not horizontally fit to the screen, and checking the response, the image size was 320x50 (X-IA-Ad-Height: 50, X-IA-Ad-Width: 320).