Discussion Board

Fully tested device for each platform (J2ME)

I'm publishing a J2ME content item. It passed QA for all countries and devices (doesn't this mean, that the test houses tested it on a lead device for each platform and found out that it worked fine?), but had the following message:

Passed QA.
    NOTE: All platforms except S40 Developer Platform 2.0 do not have FULLY TESTED device.
    EXPECTED RESULTS: For each platform you wish to distribute your content you must have at least one device FULLY TESTED.
    CORRECTIVE ACTIONS: Steps to modify the file:
    1. Press 'Edit File' button.
    2. Check the 'Compatibility' declarations for each platform of devices.
    3. Select device compatibility 'FULLY TESTED' for at least one device in the platform.
    4. Press 'Submit changes to QA' button.
    When FULLY TESTED device fails in QA, the whole platform will fail. Please select devices FULLY TESTED only if that is the situation.
    Is this really a rule for J2ME applications? If so, why doesn't the publish website check that one device for each platform is fully tested BEFORE allowing the app to QA (it seems to be able to check for missing banners too, for Nokia 501)? And with this rule, how is it even possible to publish for Nokia 501 currently, as the device is not available either in the stores or on RDA? I thought there are already some porting campaigns going on...

Same issue with some older platforms, for example, there's no Nokia 6300 available on RDA, and probably it's not even in the stores anymore. So the solution is to set the phone/platform as not compatible (as opposed to assumed to work, as I can't test), even though the test houses already found (I assume) that the app works?

Re: Fully tested device for each platform (J2ME)

Just to follow up.

Could somebody from Nokia comment about what's the correct way to proceed if you are 95% sure your J2ME app works on a platform, but don't have access to any device to test it:

A) Do not publish for that platform
    B) Mark one device from the platform as fully tested, without actually testing
    C) First be truthful about what you know about the compatibility ("Should work" on that platform's devices), then mark one device as fully tested when the app bounces back from QA (due to not marked as fully tested) with QA testing complete and passed for the devices of the platform in question
    D) Something else?

For me you have two option

1)Mark one of the device as fully tested even though it is no tested and the rest should work.As long as it is running same os and you sure that it's going to work.
    2)Test your app with RDA service

Why make it so complicated

Quote Originally Posted by babylongreece View Post
    1)Mark one of the device as fully tested even though it is no tested and the rest should work.As long as it is running same os and you sure that it's going to work.
    Yepp, that's the advice I got from another publisher as well, he said "basically I enter fully tested for everything, and if something fails QA, then it's just not compatible". I'd like to know if this is really the way it's supposed to go.

If you're forced to enter "Fully tested" for one device per platform, whether you tested with it or not, in practice "Fully tested" doesn't give any more information than allowing publishing of files "Assumed to work". Actually, even less, as in this case you don't know which platforms were really tested before, and which devices were entered just because you have to do it.

The publisher's guide says that the fully tested device is the one that Nokia will use for QA testing, but at least in case of one of my Symbian apps, they kept testing on a device that I had marked not compatible (and failed the QA for that platform twice in a row, because of this!). Also, the device Nokia tests on being the fully tested one shouldn't make any difference anyway, because if the app becomes available for all the "Assumed to work" devices of the platform too, it would actually make more sense to test on a random device among them, not the one that the developer tested on already.

Quote Originally Posted by babylongreece View Post
    2)Test your app with RDA service
    Not every platform is available on RDA, the original post had two examples of those (501 and 6300). Besides, RDA is very laggy and doesn't support sound (which means that sound related UTC testcases cannot be run), so I wouldn't say that app is "Fully tested" just based on testing it on RDA, unless, of course, claiming "Fully tested" is a requirement for publishing...

Like i say,just go ahead and mark one device as fully tested.If it fail qa then it mean your won't app work on that platform.That's how i also know my app won't on symbian s60v5. .Actually this method is quite good because nokia is doing the test for us rather than we have to find a device to test or end up get a bad review if the app won't work on that platform.It is nokia that "willing" to do the test for us