Discussion Board

Hybrid View

'Certificate not on phone or SIM' on Nokia ASHA 311 even after signing the app

I have developed one application for personal use and also bought COMODO Code Signing certificate to sign the same. After signing the app when I try to run it on Phone it says 'Certificate not on phone or SIM'. I have updated my phone to latest firmware also. I have no idea why its happening. I don't know whether I have some mistake in signing or there is some other mistake. I need to sign my Midlet just because it asks for permission every time I access Memory Card.
    Last edited by jemishsp; 2013-06-13 at 05:20.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: 'Certificate not on phone or SIM' on Nokia ASHA 311 even after signing the app

Certificates for application signing and certificates for securing network communication have different requirements. This Comodo stuff more looks like the latter, as SSL is often used as abbreviation for Secure Socket Layer, technology for secure networking.
    Application signing is controlled by a very few sources, you can find the list of certificates on the specification page for each device, like https://www.developer.nokia.com/Devi...ions/Asha_311/ for the Nokia Asha 311.
    If you want to read more about signing, a possible starting page could be https://www.developer.nokia.com/Dist..._signing.xhtml and its links.

Re: 'Certificate not on phone or SIM' on Nokia ASHA 311 even after signing the app

Sorry Its my mistake to write SSL Certificate. I have bought COMODO Code Signing Certificate. I have sign the app using this only. BUt I can't find Comodo Certificate in NOkia ASHA 311 as I have Checked it in Settings -> Security -> Certificates. I have installed Comodo certificate to my phone as well. Still I gives me 'Certificate not on phone or SIM'. ANd there is no list of Certificates in specification page you provided. Its only written that "Certificates: UTI Root".
    Last edited by jemishsp; 2013-06-13 at 05:35.

Quote Originally Posted by jemishsp View Post
    have installed Comodo certificate to my phone as well. Still I gives me 'Certificate not on phone or SIM'.
    Long tap on your certificate you you will see the permissions. User installed certificates are not allowed for code-signing. Furthermore, you are not able to enable it from the user interface. If you want to play around with your certificate, you can go for tools like nokicert which allow you to install your certificate and enable it for code signing.

The correct way is to go for VeriSign as those are supported in the world of Samsung as well.

Regular Contributor

Hi all,

So, what is the conclusion for this problem...??. Does the nokia asha 311 supoort for self signed..??. Cause i need to do self signed too on my development to disable confirmation dialog.

Best Regards,

Iqbal
    Last edited by muhamad.iqbal; 2013-07-03 at 17:32.

Isn’t my answer sufficient?

Nokia Developer Champion

You need code signing certificate and not secure socket certificate, those 2 are different things.
    Also you need to know that on the phone there only a few predefined trust authority certificate installed (and you cannot update that list) for code signing you have several options such as thawte, verisign, java verified, etc.
    HOWEVER if you wish to publish the app on Nokia store you dont need to buy a certificate since Nokia offer FREE Java verified testing and signing (all you have to do is make sure you pass the Java verified critiria which is very easy to do so)

I don't want to publish it on Nokia Store. But is there any way to sign the app by FREE Java verified testing and signing which Nokia offers? If you know, that will be very grateful

Nokia Developer Champion

like i told you the phone comes with a predefined fixed list of trust authorities (normally its just the big ones that gets in, there are several levels of trust authority and i imagine comodo is down the chain since i never heard of it).
    the big ones for code signing are thawte, verisign, java verified you can also check your phone which other code signing certificate are available there, buying a certificate from them can cost around 200-300 euro depanding how many years the certificate is good for (or the cost of test for java verified which i dont know how much it is)
    and like i said the FREE Java verified testing and signing is for publishing on the Nokia store only.

one last note.... perhaps you can try self-signing with user certificate, i have no experience with it on Asha phones but it worked for me at least once on symbian device, i dont know if Asha support it.