×

Discussion Board

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1

    WP8 Camera Metering

    Hi guys!

    I wonder if it is possible in a camera application to set spot metering...

    In Windows Phone 8, the exposure is central weightened, but often this is not good.
    I mean: in camera applications of competitors, in fact, the exposure is linked to focus point, so that when you tap on the screen to set the point of focus, camera calculate also the best exposure mostly for that point!

    I read the "advanced photo capturing", but no reference to metering!

    Any ideas?

    Thanks a lot!

  2. #2
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    la bouexiere, france
    Posts
    474

    Re: WP8 Camera Metering


  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2

    Re: WP8 Camera Metering

    HI!
    Your topic has aroused my attention as it identifies the Achille's heel of WP8 camera software, from what I think.

    If you're trying to adjust exposure when the tapping to focus, like iPhone does, unluckily that's no way to do that.

    As far as I know Windows Phone 8 unluckily let you work ONLY on EV compensation. You have no access neither to the metering mode, nor to the exposure calculation.

    In my opinion this is a very important weakness of the camera software: that's no reason why one should worry that a subject of the photo is well focused, but doesn't care it it is well exposed too...

  4. #4
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    946

    Re: WP8 Camera Metering

    Quote Originally Posted by Commodo View Post
    HI!
    Your topic has aroused my attention as it identifies the Achille's heel of WP8 camera software, from what I think.

    If you're trying to adjust exposure when the tapping to focus, like iPhone does, unluckily that's no way to do that.

    As far as I know Windows Phone 8 unluckily let you work ONLY on EV compensation. You have no access neither to the metering mode, nor to the exposure calculation.

    In my opinion this is a very important weakness of the camera software: that's no reason why one should worry that a subject of the photo is well focused, but doesn't care it it is well exposed too...
    The way you deal with exposure control on Windows Phone devices is by using the Exposure Compensation. Spot metering is something that is useful and I use it a lot on my DSLR's but mainly to apply a reading lock on a specific location. Unfortunately this is not yet available. I didnt tested the new camera app yet (the one that comes with Lumia 1020) but from what I've at least its now much easier to manually control exposure.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2

    Re: WP8 Camera Metering

    Hi! Thank you for your reply!!
    I should study Nokia Pro Cam more in depth, but I've read no mention to metering mode.
    However, I don't know why they have taken it away from Windows Phone 7/7,5.. In the previous version of Windows Phone you could choose spot metering, however central.
    That's not so useful in my opinion: it should be linked to the point of focus, like iPhone does.

    For instance when passing from Bada 1.2 to Bada 2 I noticed that if I changed the point of focus, exposure didn't change anymore EVEN IF I set metering mode to spot. I think (but correct me if I'm wrong), Samsung developers chose to give more importance to the central point of the picture instead of the point of focus (I don't understand the reason..)
    But the problem was very easy to overcome through the recompose technique (half shutter button pressing to AE/AF lock)

    But now in WP8 Lumia devices:

    - exposure doesn't adjust when tapping to focus
    - it's impossible to set an independent spot metering
    - it's impossible to recompose because half-press shutter doesn't lock the exposure

    You can only hope that the subject of the photo is in the center, otherwise it is often undoer/overexposed. On my Lumia this happens very frequently.
    If you use the rule-of-thirds you are a dead duck.
    Last edited by Commodo; 2013-08-18 at 01:33.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1

    Re: WP8 Camera Metering

    why kinect not add capri sence (small kinect) on smartphone ,tablette , it's best inovation why not

  7. #7
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    946

    Re: WP8 Camera Metering

    Quote Originally Posted by Commodo View Post
    - exposure doesn't adjust when tapping to focus
    Nope, Exposure adjust automatically according to whats on screen on any given moment

    Quote Originally Posted by Commodo View Post
    - it's impossible to set an independent spot metering
    Correct, as it is in many basic cameras, not just smartphones Spot metering is a luxury that until more recently only pro cameras would allow you to do. Dont get me started on average metering that you could do with multiple spot mitering. Olympus OM series from the 70s/80s would allow you to do that... these days you cant find any camera that does this.


    Quote Originally Posted by Commodo View Post
    - it's impossible to recompose because half-press shutter doesn't lock the exposure
    Correct. But after half-pressing the button if you recompose you can use exposure compensation You can do that by changing ISO manually, and Exposure Value. By manually setting these, you will have much better control over the scene. With the current camera app from Microsoft its a pain to do so because you need to open a manu, select an option and then choose from a list. The new camera app does this much better by making it possible to change that on the viewfinder on the fly with no need to open any menus.

    Quote Originally Posted by Commodo View Post
    You can only hope that the subject of the photo is in the center, otherwise it is often undoer/overexposed. On my Lumia this happens very frequently.
    If you use the rule-of-thirds you are a dead duck.
    Rule-of-thirds is a convention that its great to break I do get your point, but again with the new update you will get muchy better manual control over exposure and ISO, and while not perfect, or DSLR level, it is a major improvement for the enthusiastic photographer.

  8. #8
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    511

    Re: WP8 Camera Metering

    While it is not possible to switch to Spot Metering with current APIs you CAN run the auto focus and lock the resulting values upon a half press and keep them until pressed down. If that is going to help you in your scenario such an app could be written (unless I'm overlooking something major in the way those work but I don't think I do).

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1

    Re: WP8 Camera Metering

    Hi guys! I had some troubles with my account (I forgot my password and I was unable to recover it because of a strange error..) .. Anyway..

    A few days ago I updated my Lumia to Amber and... a dream comes true!!
    When you tap to set the point of focus at last exposure adjusts to make that point well-exposed!!
    No one mentioned this feature, but to me it's the most important one in the Amber update!!

    Thank you Nokia!))

    In regard to SB Dev: unluckily it's still no possible to lock exposure by half-pressing shutter button...
    Anyway I tried an app (flaneur) with AF & AE lock features, but actually they were no linked to the shutter button. So the process was indeed quite slow (it takes hours before taking a shot...)

    As far as I know, there is no app in the whole WP8 store that allows you to press half-press button to lock exposure and focus, such an app would be the first!
    My only doubt: I've read somewhere that some Lumia devices (but not all) give you the possibility to do that.. Anyone can confirm this?

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1

    Re: WP8 Camera Metering

    I'm the developer of flaneur, I'll set half-press AE/AF lock as a preference asap I wrote flaneur for my own photography needs, and half-press AE lock didn't work that well for me, but it's not difficult to implement at all.

    I'm particularly interested in how Nokia Pro Cam achieves spot metering, since it's not exposed in the standard WP8 APIs.

Similar Threads

  1. camera engine does not open the back camera cover on my N8 belle
    By Tao.Huang in forum Symbian Media (Closed)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2012-04-16, 11:00
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2012-02-16, 09:40
  3. Camera Wrapper library Face camera capture image reversed
    By waelfarouk in forum Symbian Media (Closed)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2011-05-13, 18:10
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2010-06-14, 13:02
  5. WMDRM metering trigger
    By Alice Pan in forum Digital Rights Management & Content Downloading
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2009-07-23, 02:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
×