Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What Nokia phones support Multimedia API (JSR-135)

Does anyone have a list of phones supporting the JSR-135 API, specifically the "capture://audio"?

I would really appreciate this, since the only phone I am currently aware of that does this is the 6600.

Re: What Nokia phones support Multimedia API (JSR-135)

I don't have a direct answer, but I think most Series 60 phones support it. I have an old 3650 and it supports it (I ordered the 6680 today and I am really looking forward to getting it!). However, you can check out http://forum.nokia.com and go to 'device specification'. It will list the specs for the phone you select.

Thanks for the feedback. Can we be certain that when Nokia lists compliance with JSR-135, it actually means fully compliance?
    Do the phones specifically support : "capture://audio" or only playback?

Smile Re: What Nokia phones support Multimedia API (JSR-135)

I don't know since I have not tried this myself, and I haven't heard anyone else that have tried this. However, I would think that if Nokia says it supports JSR-135, it would be in full compliance unless otherwise stated.
    For example, check out http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,,0...tml?model=6600 and the support for JSR-82 (Bluetooth). It says that it does NOT support OBEX.

I think most Series 60 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition support JSR-135.
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/1,,1_3,00.html

There are two specs for JSR-135. The newer one takes into account the security features of MIDP2.0. For all the details, look at:
    http://java.sun.com/products/mmapi/overview.html

If you are getting a new phone now, don't get the 6600. It doesn't even support EDGE, so if you are planning on streaming anything it will be very slow. I currently have the 3650, which has the same connection, and I was not able to play a small video file (don't remember the exact size, but it was probably below 1MB). I was able to play sound through it though.
    At least get something that has EDGE (6620 and newer models), preferably 3G (6630/6680 N-series). You can get these for a little over $300 in the US (not sure where in the world you live), which is probably not much more than what you will pay for a 6600.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I don't know if all nokia phones that support the JSR-135 spec will allow audio capture. Tried that on another phone which supported the spec but didn't allow audio capture.

Apparently, audio capture is an optional extra and does not have to be supported. I'm looking desperately for phones which do and can only look to the new 3G devices in the hope that they will.

Cheers and happy hunting,

Regan

Smile Re: What Nokia phones support Multimedia API (JSR-135)

Hmm, well that's too bad since I would think it would support the full specification of JSR-135 (whatever this is) if they say they do.
    Just get a 3G phone then since I would think they support it. I got my 6680 yesterday ($359 at www.exoticphone.com), and it's way cool! The 6630 is currently selling for $289 I think. They also sell newer 3G phones, but they are more expensive. Don't buy from a service provider (TMobile, Cingular etc) since that's a rip off. It's not worth the small discount they give you for signing up 1-2 years.

I do a little j2me programming myself, but have not tried the media APIs. If you are not afraid of sharing your code, you can send it to me, and I can try it out on my phone.

You could also try contacting Nokia since they are usually pretty good about things like this.

I also believe JSR-135 1.0 can only be used for generating audio, and maybe playback of audio/video. 1.1 adds functionality, but I am not sure exactly what (haven't had time to read the full specs yet). WTK2.2 doesn't specify which spec it used (1.0, 1.1), and the phone mfgs don't list it either, unfortunately.

I have a 6630 I bought specifically for audio capture related development.
    It does audio capture.

Unfortunately, there's no useful doc I can find on what is actually in the data you get back. This is not a problem if you are simply handing the stream back to a player but it is if you want to manipulate the sound first.

I suspect that the "raw" data includes a header at the start.

Finding out what recording params are supported is also troublesome and I suspect there are bugs here.

I note that no one from Nokia has replied on this thread when the info you requested should be readily available.

I also note that it is next to impossible to get information unless you are a regsitered company with a vat number.

I also seem to spend an eternity reading ABOUT their documentation rather than reading their documentation - a problem with sites like these since marketing got hold of them in the last decade. Whoever does content for this site does not understand what developers need and want.

I am close to giving up on my app and j2me dev in general for lack of useful available documentation.

It's all very well to know WHICH phones support audio capture and you would expect that to be avaiable as BASIC information but it is of limited use if the format of the captured data is not available to the developer so I believe my next question is relevant to this thread ;

Does anyone know what the captured audio data stream contains PRECISELY ?

Hi,

I found this in the JSR-135 1.1 version.

B. Describing the audio encodings:

audio_encodings = audio_enc_param *( "&" audio_param )
    audio_enc_param = "encoding=" audio_enc
    audio_enc = "pcm" / "ulaw" / "gsm" / content_type
    audio_param = "rate=" rate /
    "bits=" bits /
    "channels=" channels /
    "endian=" endian /
    "signed=" signed /
    "type=" audio_type
    rate = "96000" / "48000" / "44100" /
    "22050" / "16000" / "11025" /
    "8000" / other_rate
    other_rate = pos_integer
    bits = "8" / "16" / "24" / other_bits
    other_bits = pos_integer
    channels = pos_integer
    endian = "little" / "big"
    signed = "signed" / "unsigned"
    audio_type = bitrate_variable / other_type
    other_type = alphanumeric
    pos_integer = 1*DIGIT

and
    content type is given in the MIME syntax.

The video codecs are also explained in the next section of this document.

Also, use System.getProperty(supports.audio.capture) to see if the device actually supports audio capture. Substitute video in the above string to see if it supports video capture.

Hope it helps,

Regan

thanks Regan,

I got the definitive answer on another thread.

the stream you get with audio capture contains data in the format of a fully formatted file.

ie. when you get the stream it will contain the same data you would get if it were in a file on disk.

it's as if the file were stored on disk as a file (of a certain type) and you just read that entire file into memory.

Eg. if you specify record wav then the stream will start with Wav ( riff ) file header and so on. You can interpret it using the .wav file spec

.. makes my other gripe a moot point too as you can get all the params ( sample rate / channels / bits etc. ) from the stream - you don't have to set them.

Hi powerb,

Can i check with you where did you reference the thread on streaming from?

Cheers,
    gamermic

subject arose in topic on "mixing of 2 mp3 files.." in j2me - in this section . Not a discussion of streams I'm afraid.

Hello,

You have asked this to earlier but now again i want this answer besause I am using 6260 that support AudioCapture,Audio Recording and Video Capture but not the video recording so I want list of Nokia sets that support completely JSR 135 which includes Camera capture and recording is must.

Is nokia 6680 support all these or any other nokia.
    Its very urgent.
    please send me response on mail :- aksadvance@rediffmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by alphanet
    Does anyone have a list of phones supporting the JSR-135 API, specifically the "capture://audio"?

I would really appreciate this, since the only phone I am currently aware of that does this is the 6600.

Nokia Developer Expert

Here's the best list you can get: http://j2mepolish.org/devices/apis.html

In Nokia's handsets, support is as follows:

- Camera (pictures) support: Series 40 3rd. edition (plus 6230i), Series 60 2.0 onwards.

- Camera (video) support: Series 60 FP 1 onwards.

Daniel

Hi

My Question is ?
    What is the codec using on video
    example for audio "capture://audio?encoding=pcm"
    for video "capture://vidoe?encoding= "

Thanks