Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Exit application on Asha Platform 1.0

Hello,

My content for J2ME passed for other platforms and devices, but failed for Asha 501, with the following issue:

Michell (NS-QA) (Fri, 21 Jun 2013 08:16:15 +0000)

Passed QA with the following issue:
    SUMMARY: Option menu includes EXIT functionality.
    STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
    1. Download and install the content.
    2. Launch the application.
    3. Open Options menu.
    ACTUAL RESULT: Option menu of the content includes EXIT functionality.
    EXPECTED RESULT: EXIT is not allowed to be included in options menu. Content should only be closed by swipe or hardware Back-button.
    AFFECTED DEVICES: Nokia Asha Software Platform 1.0 and onwards devices
    FREQUENCY REPRODUCED: 100%.
    Does "Content should only be closed by swipe or hardware Back-button" mean, that also exit button in application main screen is forbidden? My app has exit button in the main screen as well, but it might be that the options menu testcase was in the list before check for other ways of exiting.

I took a look at the latest Nokia Store Content Guidelines (1.5), and there's still the following condition for Java Applications:
    2.2.2.1 The application must meet the Unified Testing Criteria for quality

The UTC criteria (June 2012 final) in turn has the following item:
    FN8 Main menu requirements: The main functionalities of Exit, Help and About are easily available through the main menu.

In my application's case, options menu is the main menu, as the app lands directly to main view without going through any intermediate menu, so it seems that it's impossible to satisfy both the UTC and new Asha requirements.

I guess a possible workaround would be to check if the system property com.nokia.keyboard.type equals "OnekeyBack" and in that case not add the exit item in the menu (or button anywhere else?). However, this means that basically all old applications need to be "ported" in order to pass QA for Asha Platform. Would it be easier just to allow the old style exit functionality, at least for apps such as this that have a completely custom UI and don't even try to look like the native Asha apps.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Exit application on Asha Platform 1.0

"Passed QA with the following issue:" sounds as a "pass" to me. See this (randomly picked) question: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...How-to-pass-QA - it explicitly says "Failed QA".
    Generally it is not a bad thing if developers get a reminder about trimming/adjusting the applications to behave more "naturally" on new devices, especially if someone already has to code something because of the new resolution.

The application passed QA for everything else (99.5%), but failed for Asha 501 (0.5%), so AFAIK it won't be published for that device.

It's nice to have UI guidelines, however, this mandatory "no exit except swipe or back button" rule may not be a good idea with the current publishing requirements and existing apps:

1) An application with no exit in main menu won't pass the Unified Testing Criteria testing, and this is listed as a precondition for publishing (see original post for more details) and
    2) Almost all existing J2ME applications will need to be modified before they can be published for 501 or other Asha platform devices, because they currently have main menu with an Exit item, as required by the UTC criteria.

Smile Re: Exit application on Asha Platform 1.0

Could someone from Publish team please confirm if also Exit functionality not in options menu (for example a button in app main view or the start up screen/menu, where you eg. start a new game) will cause the app to fail QA for the new Asha platform? The comment "Content should only be closed by swipe or hardware Back-button." would suggest that, but the failure in OP was specific for options menu.

Also, is there a list of UI _requirements_ (really mandatory things, that will cause QA failures) somewhere for full screen canvas applications that are published for Asha platform, but were not specifically designed for it (if it makes any difference)? In the UX checklists (http://www.developer.nokia.com/Resou...hecklists.html) some things seem more like recommendations. What about back handling, will existence of onscreen back buttons within the application cause a failure, even if HW back button works too?

Actually, even better, it would be great if the QA testcases specific to this platform could be published, so it would be easy to check that all tests pass, already before submitting an app!

An update after having a few applications published for the 501 - having exit in the menu seems to be the only unusual thing that fails QA:

- Physical back button handling for full screen canvas applications is not mandatory, it's ok if pressing the button opens the system close app dialog (or at least one such application passed for me - at that point I hadn't really thought about back button behavior)
    - Also onscreen Back in addition to the physical button is ok
    - Square application icon is recommended but not required
    Last edited by TongMuan; 2013-07-28 at 16:06.