Discussion Board

Lightbulb Help for build meego image with N9 reward.

Hello, friend, who can give me some instruction of how to compile a whole meego image for N9 or N950 from sourcecode?
    I searched and browsed all the materal on google, but only find some material on N900, such as http://repo.meego.com/MeeGo/builds/1...image-configs/, but couldn't find how to build N9 or N950? for only ks files for N900 found in repo.meego. There're also some web links to desribe how to assmble an image using the already compiled rpms, but that's not what I'm looking for. I want to learn how to build a N9 from scratch.
    Any body can help me? I can send you one N9 for your helf once it's proven workable.
    BTW, I'm a fans of meego, and I've one N9 and N950.
    Last edited by riverlake; 2013-07-15 at 02:47.

Regular Contributor

Re: Help for build meego image with N9 reward.

Certain part in meego harmattan is closed source like the harmattan swipe ui which is nokia proprietary so i think it is not possible unless nokia fully release the source.

Yes, I know that part is not open. Then what about the others? MeeGo 1.2 is called public sourcecode, but still couldn't find a right material for me to build a whole image from scratch.
    Quote Originally Posted by babylongreece View Post
    Certain part in meego harmattan is closed source like the harmattan swipe ui which is nokia proprietary so i think it is not possible unless nokia fully release the source.

Nokia Developer Moderator

The weak point of open source OS-s is the hardware support. It is absolutely sure that whatever parts of MeeGo you can get, they do not contain device drivers for the actual Nokia N9 hardware. And in contrast to the PC world, here there is no such thing as "generic SVGA", standard keyboard, etc. You can not build an image without actual device drivers for the actual hardware, and these things may not be available from completely legal sources. For example, reverse engineering of N9 firmware is not entirely legal.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    reverse engineering of N9 firmware is not entirely legal.
    That is why we use anonymous name and don't display any pictures

The weak point of open source OS-s is the hardware support. It is absolutely sure that whatever parts of MeeGo you can get, they do not contain device drivers for the actual Nokia N9 hardware. And in contrast to the PC world, here there is no such thing as "generic SVGA", standard keyboard, etc. You can not build an image without actual device drivers for the actual hardware, and these things may not be available from completely legal sources. For example, reverse engineering of N9 firmware is not entirely legal.
    Hi,

Why isn't it possible to build a flash image from some binary files (Nokia device drivers and such) and some self compiled binaries?

TIA, Peter

It is very well possible I think, just getting those binary files is not trivial.

Thanks for wizard_hu_ & pmrb 's answer.
    yes, it can also work for me to build a flash image combined with self-compiled binary and binary files(nokia device drivers). anybody can help?

Quote Originally Posted by pmrb View Post
    Hi,

Why isn't it possible to build a flash image from some binary files (Nokia device drivers and such) and some self compiled binaries?

TIA, Peter

It is very well possible I think, just getting those binary files is not trivial.
    Why would Nokia refuse to provide those binary files?
    Peter

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by pmrb View Post
    Why would Nokia refuse to provide those binary files?
    Peter
    Possible reasons:

- Because they don't want to.
    - Because they contain something that's licensed to others and they're not permitted to.
    - Because just doing that is not enough for anyone, but they'd also need to release signing tools and certificates & such (back to "they don't want to").
    - Because they don't want to the support hassles (="they don't want to")
    - Some other reason.

Only someone in Nokia with the right information will know, but they're probably not on these forums, or if they are, decline to comment.

Hi,

Isn't it possible, to copy the binary files in question from a running system?

Peter

It may be possible, especially since there is a kind of root access, like discussed on http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79147, though it is not "real" root.